An Aluminum Closed-End Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My 27 year old son has played with my lathes/tools about 10 times. He always comes home at the holidays and wants to "make something different..."

This year he wanted to play with my new/used metal lathe. Got started, made some nice progress, then had to finish on the wood lathe as the fuse popped on the metal lathe VS circuit board.

Skills/tools entirely new to him: Turning a closed end pen, Drilling/tooling aluminum, metal lathe basics (he did not have the benefit of an experienced teacher), collet chucks, pin chucks, finishing/polishing aluminum, and many more. However, he is quite adept at being a perfectionist. He is not happy with the finished pen - the few minor flaws bug him. But, at least he was not jumping out of an airplane today! :)

(FWIT, I have turned one, that is "1" very flawed aluminum pen myself, so the blind was coaching the blind.

Needless to say, a very memorable day in the basement together. And, he has a pen that will outlast his old man!

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is a pretty cool pen indeed. But being able to spend time with family is priceless, especially over Christmas.:biggrin:

It's a straight-stick pen, but he had fun (as did I sitting in the corner chuckling), and did incredibly well for his level of lathe experience. Nothing special, but it will be a remembrance for him in the future.

Very nice start! Sorry to hear about the blown fuse.

A 5 pack for a few bucks from LMS, and good to go!

Looks great. He will like it more as he uses it I'm sure.
It also seems he is a quick study and fast learner.
Gets that from his parents no doubt!

He is an absurdly quick learner! Not to my credit as Chris is actually my Nephew - Genetics go to my Sister-In-Law and Brother-In-Law. So yes! He gets his instincts from his parents. (Both pilots, sky divers, and perfectionists. Chris come to us when he was 2 yrs old).

Great Christmas Present for ME! Time in the shop to watch, tutor, and smile.

robutacion

G'day Mark,

Great to see Chris wanting to spend some time with you in the shed and get some quality time to boost.

You can't choose "good genes", you either are born with them or you're not but if you are, the extra capacity to workout and overcome situations becomes obvious.

On the other hand, no one is born knowing it all so, everybody has to go through a learning process that for "some" seems always an easy task and therefore, show faster results than normal.

As for the pen shown, I reckon its a beauty and as you said, is not going to ware in a hurry, however, you may need to remind him not to take it with him sky-jumping, not that you wouldn't survive the fall but he would never find it..!:eek::biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'day Mark,

Great to see Chris wanting to spend some time with you in the shed and get some quality time to boost.

You can't choose "good genes", you either are born with them or you're not but if you are, the extra capacity to workout and overcome situations becomes obvious.

On the other hand, no one is born knowing it all so, everybody has to go through a learning process that for "some" seems always an easy task and therefore, show faster results than normal.

As for the pen shown, I reckon its a beauty and as you said, is not going to ware in a hurry, however, you may need to remind him not to take it with him sky-jumping, not that you wouldn't survive the fall but he would never find it..!:eek::biggrin::wink:

Cheers
George

G'Day Jorge!

Chris competed at skydiving with the SDMW Team, you may need to scroll down to the AAA Class.

https://www.skyleague.com/scores/?page=7 He was competing against the Military Teams, and Fully Professional Teams (they don't have an alternate income job); ie, Blue Knights, etc...

The top teams do this for a living, as they get funding and work as trainers for Junior Teams, riggers, photo, etc.

As to the pen... Chris did very well. He just likes playing in my shop, ruining my gouges, and trying to make very challenging projects without the prerequisite learning curve! And my job is to sit in the corner and keep him safe! All is well, tools can be replaced/sharpened, but time with family will NEVER be able to be replaced when done. I do cherish the time with Chris, so I'm good.

OZturner

Very Nice Pen, Mark.
Great Effort by your Son,
Excellent Profile, and Proportions, and Finish.
Sorry to hear about your Lathe Blowing a Fuse, it is usually me blowing my fuse in the Shop, fortunately all I need is a cup of Coffee, and a walk around the yard, then I am ready to go again.
Congratulations, any time spent with your Son, is Great Time.
Brian.

robutacion

For Jorge: Chris Haslam, right side.

https://www.skyleague.com/teams/140909/

Hi Mark,

Thanks for making my life easier in finding that pic and yes, I could recognize Chris, I have seen pics of him before.

Let me tell you my thoughts on this as I read your last 2 posts and after I saw the pic

For the reason, you particularly posted this post for me, what Chris do and how that "sparks" a very special flame in me, even though it was what broke my back 41 years ago last October, I can understand only too well the incomparable feeling of free falling and gliding with the shute and the drive that makes every single enthusiastic/fanatic skydiver keep going up in the sky time after time.

So, that's where my spark shines but not being able to do such a thing since my accident and have paid a fairly heavy price, still and fortunately for me not as heavy as it could have been I have spend many hours in front of my computer seeing Youtube videos of high jumps from beginning to end and for years they were all I had to lighten my spark, however, in recent years there has been a tremendous advances people flying in the sky, one of which, actually 2 of which I can spend hours lost in what my eyes can see.

I'm talking about wingsuit flying and the capacity, in our days, to mount cameras all over but helmet cameras foremost, oh boy, the ability to see, hear the sounds and almost feel the adrenaline rush of the experience makes it sometimes so real that my body reacts as per the movements of the person inside that suit and that is priceless.

I do however acknowledge that when things go wrong to very wrong in these clips and I say, "oh $#!t...!" and then the clip ends, I find myself seated safely in my computer chair with my heart still pumping flat out but I quickly settle, however, this is far from representing the reality for those affected something not totally foreign to me.:frown:

Why is this something that still "enjoy" today...???

What makes one tick...?

What priorities does one "impose" on themselves and why is that...?

What is "right"...?

What is "wrong"...?

Only if I knew the answers...!:confused::)

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm talking about wingsuit flying and the capacity, in our days, to mount cameras all over but helmet cameras foremost, oh boy, the ability to see, hear the sounds and almost feel the adrenaline rush of the experience makes it sometimes so real that my body reacts as per the movements of the person inside that suit and that is priceless.

Cheers
George

Chris is the fellow in the red suit. This is on a trip he did to Norway.

He made about 50 wingsuit jumps, then sold the rig as he just felt it was "less safe" for his taste. Maybe he learned from his parents (his real parents).

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Top Bottom