Aluminum Cigar from Johnny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from airrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

Ok I turned this last week but could not get a good picture of it. Today I feel it is good enough to post.

Turning aluminum was a new experience for me. There was some of room for play on these. When I first put it on the lathe I thought the bushings were loose inside the blanks. I took it off and double checked them. Sadly I didn't double check putting the bushings on again and switched the center two. YEAH ! :([B)]

Turning aluminum was different, I am glad there was a little to turn off but not alot.

When putting the kit together it was snug.

I had a good time learning how to turn aluminum and come up with a custom centerband for a cigar.

I still have a slimline to turn but if johnny puts up some more I recommend buying if you have never turned any before. You dont have to worry about cutting drilling and glueing.

2007111353426_DSCF2302.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
Very nice. What kind of finish did you put on the pen to keep it from turning your hand black?[}:)]

workinforwood

Very nice indeed. It is interesting how it feels just a touch sloppy on the bushings but snug like a bug in a rug during assembly. Goes to show how much a brass tube expands during installation of parts.

airrat

That is exactly what I was thinking Jeff. Glad you phrased it better then I would have.

Yeah Johnny I am pleased with the CB, the picture does not do it justice but if anyone has purchased the constellation acrylic blank from Ernie you know all the hidden colors when you turn the blank in light.

As for turning the aluminum Johnny it was different for the first time. I still have not gotten to the slimline, I have an order for 10 bottle stoppers I am working on and just delivered 6 pens to another. I will get to it I promise.

johnnycnc

Tom,I think you did a first-class job
for first time aluminum.Nice photography.
I tried to get pictures of a couple the other night,
and had fits.[B)]
I'm not as good with a camera as you are,obviously.
I try to make a good press fit for the parts,
because I have always felt loose,glued/epoxied fittings
were avoidable on the manufacturer's end.
Thanks for showing off a very nice piece of work!

airrat

I am still working on taking pictures. My camera was having problems so I used my mom's this time. Also I bought a "pop up" square D photo booth on Ebay. It came with lights, 2 different size booths, backgrounds, camera tripod and a carry case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom