Aluminum/Carbon Fiber slim line

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brotherdale

Brotherdale

This pen represents a couple of firsts for me and is also a stepping stone.
This was my first time turning aluminum. I bought some AL rod of various sizes so I could have plenty of kit choices.
The carbon fiber half was my first (successful) tube in cast with Liquid Diamonds.
I am an Aircraft Mechanic so I have been thinking about doing one like this for a while. In the not do distant future I will add titanium. And do closed end as well.
The aluminum was easier that I expected to turn on my Jet 1015.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

Very nicely done! And on a wood lathe no less. Titanium will be a challenge even on a metal lathe. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon. Great job!

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

My plan is to use Titanium for the clip on a capped pen. It files and sands pretty easily. I'm sure I could not turn it.
Everyday I walk onto an A380 and as I walk onboard I see carbon parts aluminum skin and blue anodized Ti door stops. I plan to make it remind me of that.

Jim, Cody and Mal thanks for the kind words.

More4dan

Very nicely done! And on a wood lathe no less. Titanium will be a challenge even on a metal lathe. I look forward to seeing more of your work soon. Great job!

Danny

My plan is to use Titanium for the clip on a capped pen. It files and sands pretty easily. I'm sure I could not turn it.

Everyday I walk onto an A380 and as I walk onboard I see carbon parts aluminum skin and blue anodized Ti door stops. I plan to make it remind me of that.

Jim, Cody and Mal thanks for the kind words.

I've done titanium clips. Drill everything before heat coloring, that oxide is extremely hard. Also heat it before bending especially if you want close to a sharp bend. Titanium can also be colored with voltage instead of heat. The color corresponds to the voltage used. Voltage gives a more consistent even color but heat is a whole lot quicker.

Top Bottom