Aluminum Button Filler Fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

A little over a week ago I screwed up my back again , at first I thought it was just a minor twist . By Sunday I was in the ER and was told to get to bed and stay there untill I could get to my Doctor so he could check my back out . I finally got to see him after being in bed all week and he gave me a shot and some meds and told me I could get up Saturday if I took it easy . Laying in bed all week gave me a chance to come up with this design . It's an Aluminum and PR Button filler Fountain pen . I have to redo the button for it but otherwise I'm quite happy with it .

As always , comments are welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pens By Scott

Wonderful Pen, I have to ask though, this is done on a wood lathe? I am very curious as I have been thinking about moving to aluminium and these types of posts keep drawing me in....

ldb2000

Yep , this was all done on a Jet 1014vsi wood lathe . Aluminum and brass turn very nicely on a regular wood lathe , I used the PSI carbide tipped tool set and a Hunter #2 carbide tool .

phillywood

Butch, you have done it again. another beautiful creation of yours. Would you please pm me about the button filler? I am lost at knowing what that is. Your work always inspires me if I can ever understand the things you use in your pens.
One of these days I'll grow up in penmaking to understand your creations completely.

ldb2000

Phillip , A button filler pen is one that does not use a cartridge or an ink pump to supply the ink . It has a rubber sac inside the body that holds the ink . You fill the pen by pressing a button on the end of the pen (under the blind cap , the black cap on the end of the pen body) . When you press the button it causes the pressure bar inside the pen body to squeeze the air out of the rubber sac and when you let go of the button the ink gets sucked into the rubber sac filling the pen . It only takes one or two presses to completely fill the sac with ink . check out this link which explains the different type of filling systems Fountain pens have used to fill them with ink http://www.richardspens.com/ref/fillers.htm#button

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Uber slick work Butch!!! Always been a fan of your stuff, but this one must be at the top of my favourites:cool:

wizard

Butch,
That is an AWESOME!!!! pen. It's beautiful. I have the utmost admiration of your abilities !!! Hope your back is feeling better. Doc

SDB777

I all to well know what having back troubles(L5, S1 disc repaired) can do to a fella...hope you get well without the surgery!

For the pen...your going to have to look pretty hard to see any troubles in this example. Very well done!!!

Scott (get better and make some more) B

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . This is one of my favorites too . I love Fountain pens and this one came out just as I had envisioned it during the design . It is an ultra light pen with the body weighing in at just under 18 grams filled with ink . I love button filling pens , one press and the pen is full . I used a fairly large sac so it writes for quite awhile . I used one of Lou's nibs and it writes fantastically , smooth as silk and a nice wet line .
I've got a couple more around this design that I managed to put on paper while I was laid up . Now I have to figure out how to make them happen .

Skippy , this one is in honor of your return , we've all missed you and your inspirations around here . I hope your here to stay awhile .

pianomanpj

Fantastic pen, Butch! I love the lines; sleek and elegant. Did you make the clip, too? Kinda looks like a cigar clip. Either way, it compliments the pen perfectly! :biggrin::good:

Toni

Phillip , A button filler pen is one that does not use a cartridge or an ink pump to supply the ink . It has a rubber sac inside the body that holds the ink . You fill the pen by pressing a button on the end of the pen (under the blind cap , the black cap on the end of the pen body) . When you press the button it causes the pressure bar inside the pen body to squeeze the air out of the rubber sac and when you let go of the button the ink gets sucked into the rubber sac filling the pen . It only takes one or two presses to completely fill the sac with ink . check out this link which explains the different type of filling systems Fountain pens have used to fill them with ink http://www.richardspens.com/ref/fillers.htm#button

Damn Butch that is one hell of a pen!! you should hurt your back more often:biggrin:

Top Bottom