At the Aluminum Again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Hut's prices for pre-cut, pre-drilled aluminum tubes is $3.99 for slimlines(drops to $2.59 if you order 100) and $8.99 for European or American Double-Twist (drops to $5.49 if you order 100).

We can probably get together a bulk buy on the slimlines if there's interest. On the larger pens, we'd probably be looking for some to cut and drill 3/4" 6061 aluminum (available at MSC for under $20 for 6 feet). I'd think it might be advantageous to have the Barons drilled at 25/64ths and 15/32nds and the cigar at 7mm and just go ahead and use the tubes that come with the kits.

Any other ideas? Interest in a slimline group purchase?

The cigars take a 10mm tube. 9mm is closer to the inner diameter. a 5/8" stock leaves plenty of room for evena large contour for a cigar anyway. The slimlines don't really interest me, due to metal pens like the cross sets that can be pruchased for a cheap price. I thought the Cigar was someting a little different. Barons would be sweet.

Also, the problem with using the tubes is that they don't expand inside of the aluminum the way they will in wood and other softer substances. This might cause a probelm with fit. But then again, maybe not.

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for catching the typo on the cigars, James. As for using the tubes, I'm just following the Hut website. You've got the experience, so I bow to it. [8D]

Fangar

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Thanks for catching the typo on the cigars, James. As for using the tubes, I'm just following the Hut website. You've got the experience, so I bow to it. [8D]

No problem. As for the hut website, their little blurb on the aluminum blanks contradicts itself. It reads:

Not for the novice, our NEW aluminum pen barrels offer an exciting challenge for the experienced pen turner. Aluminum barrels are best suited for the Sherline owner but, can also be turned on a conventional lathe with standard tools. Aluminum barrels are supplied in the correct length and include pre-glued tubes. Simply slip them on the mandrel and turn them down to the bushings.

Note: All Aluminum Pen Blanks are NOT supplied with tubes. We suggest that you use the tubes that come with your pen kit just as you do with other blanks.

Uh.. so which is it? [:D]

James

Fangar

Thanks Randy. I am getting ready to do another, so I will ry to get that tutorial together. This time I will be doing a Polished aluminum with chrome hardware. Should be cool.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom