Aluminum, Acrylic, and a Homemade Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bluwolf

bluwolf

A friend was giving me a hard time that I've never made my own clip. So I figured I'd give it a try. I said I didn't want to do aluminum again for awhile, somehow I sucked my self in with some ridiculous logic. I also can't decide whether I like it better with the aluminum on the bottom barrel or without. If I was to make it without I would taper the bottom barrel a little. Opinions? I'm still not sure I like it at all.

Attachments

• rdal.jpg
    rdal.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,282
  • rdal1.jpg
    rdal1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,110
  • rdal2.jpg
    rdal2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,232

Fat Boy

well if you do not like it i will gladly take it off your hands!:biggrin: great job and an awesome design. i need to give one of them a try soon.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Although each way has its own 'draw', personally I like the way you have it setup in pic 2 (without the metal on the body), but I don't think the shape needs to change!

Mapster

There it is! The perfect combination of acrylic and aluminum. Looks great Mike and great job on the clip, looks pretty sweet. Definitely keep the aluminum on the bottom, balances it out a little more. Great job.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Without the lower sleeve the pen body is Boooorrrriiing... IF you leave the sleeve off perhaps you could turn the body of the pen in a style similar to a chess piece like the bishop or pawn etc.

This is not to say that this isnt a great design it really is. I really like the strong color choice and the balance of color to aluminum.

Really nice Pen Mike

MartinPens

I think it's great! Definitely keep it with the aluminum on the body. And put me on the list of people to send it to if you just can't bring yourself to keep it! : )

Your skill set is up there. I envy those who work with metal. Maybe some day.

Regards,

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
What's not to like ?:confused: The contrast is stunning. The design by itself is something I could never dream of doing. Outstanding pen Mike. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gulfcoast

---- glad to see you have not lost your creative touch Mike --- definitely outstanding! ---- especially with the aluminum bottom.

Joe

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Either way its a great concept and design. Personally I like it with the aluminum bottom. Would also be great in brass and then plated in either silver or gold. Thanks for sharing.

wiset1

I feel the same as the others...aluminum ON! This is fantastic work and on a whole new level which will most likely drive other to try new stuff. Again, amazing work!!!

IPD_Mr

Let me help you out here and see how big we can make your head. :biggrin:

I had the photo up on my screen and asked Linda to come look. The first words out of her mouth were, "Who Skippy? That put you right up there with one of the most talented persons on IAP. You should be quite proud of your creation. Very well done.

propencity

Awesome! I definitely prefer the aluminum look for the lower barrel. Man, I'm just shaking my head on some of the very creative work being produced here. For some reason, the word "IronMan" (as in the movie) came to mind after seeing that pen. Excellent work!

mtgrizzly52

Now that is the kind of pens I aspire to create some day. That is unbelievably beautiful. You must leave the aluminum on the lower half. I need to figure out how you did that, and not only make similar style pens, but I think that design would look fantastic on the custom fly rods I build!

I know, let me borrow your pen for a couple of lifetimes so I can get a pattern or two from it! :biggrin::biggrin:

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

bluwolf

I had the photo up on my screen and asked Linda to come look. The first words out of her mouth were, "Who Skippy? That put you right up there with one of the most talented persons on IAP. You should be quite proud of your creation. Very well done.

Thanks, I appreciate that. The difference is, Skip knows what he's doing:biggrin: I look at some of the stuff he does, pen and machinery-wise and it makes my brain hurt.

Mike

bluwolf

Mike!
That's a real Wow!! i'd keep the bottom on, the clip looks awesome too,is the final and clip one solid piece or a 2 piece outstanding work well done.

Thanks, I thought the clip looked a little heavy but for the first one it was fine.The finial and clip are two pieces. The finial screws on and holds the clip in place.

Mike

bluwolf

Awesome! I definitely prefer the aluminum look for the lower barrel. Man, I'm just shaking my head on some of the very creative work being produced here. For some reason, the word "IronMan" (as in the movie) came to mind after seeing that pen. Excellent work!

IronMan, funny, after I read that I saw the same thing...

jpick22

WOW! Mark really nailed it with the name "IRON MAN". What a job you did on that one. Now, I'm actually motivated to get back to making a pen, after 3-years of PBO (Penmaking Burn Out).

In fact, I'm beginning to visualize it right now - and have already named it: It will be called, "GARBAGE MAN". COMING SOON . . . . . . Really a great job Michael - congrats!

Jay

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ah !!!!!! My pen making hero returns!!!! At last!!!:biggrin:

Welcome back Mr Pickens. You have done your fair share of inspiring people over the years too!!:wink:

workinforwood

Pen looks super awesome, especially with aluminum on both sections. Can't however say I care for the kit finial and nib...especially the octagon style nib. You are well on your way to being a master of penmaking!

IPD_Mr

Thanks, I appreciate that. The difference is, Skip knows what he's doing:biggrin: I look at some of the stuff he does, pen and machinery-wise and it makes my brain hurt.

Mike

Now see nobody would have know that you felt that you did not know what you are doing until you posted it. I sure hope that you continue not knowing what you are doing and post more results. It is creations like yours and Steven's that get people motivated and their creative juices flowing.

bluwolf

Pen looks super awesome, especially with aluminum on both sections. Can't however say I care for the kit finial and nib...especially the octagon style nib. You are well on your way to being a master of penmaking!

Thanks, the whole excuse for making the pen was because I wanted (okay, I was provoked into:rolleyes:) making my own clip. The rest of the pen was an afterthought. At this point I still wasn't sure I liked the pen and I wasn't happy with the nib I made on the last aluminum pen so I figured I'd cut my losses, finish the pen and get some opinions. I had the octagon nib so I figured what the heck. But your right, it's just so-so.

As for the finial, do you not care for it because you think it's a kit finial or because of the look of it? Because I made it. It's threaded underneath and that's what holds the clip onto the pen.

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Now Mike, if you hadn't 'hid' your identity, then everyone here would have known that you're a bit of a hero too. :rolleyes: I've made a pen or two that were based on your designs. So have others. I also wouldn't have made the faux par that I did in a recent post of yours. :redface:

I remember seeing one of Jay's pens and thinking........one day, one day. :rolleyes:
I'm still thinking......one day, one day!!!!:biggrin::tongue:

Top Bottom