Aluminum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I decided to start out the new year experimenting with some new stuff, new to me at least. I bought an aluminum rod at home depot and wanted to see if I could work with it on my wood lathe. Not a mirror finish but I kind of like the look.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Not a thing wrong with that pen.
The finish is perfect.
You don't need a mirror finish to show all the fingerprints.

Just one more to add to my bucket list.
Beautiful work.

Cwalker935

Very nice!
What did you drill and turn it with? Really well done!

I drilled it on the lathe using cheap Harbor freight bits occasionally squirting with WD40. I used a ewt round tool at first but ended up using my skew to turn it.

Oldredbeard

That looks great, and I agree I wouldn't want a mirror finish. That looks like a brushed finish, which is just right on a pen. Congratulations sir, very nice work.

Mr Vic

Did you tube it or drill smaller to allow a press fit directly into the aluminum? If non tube can you share bit size?
Oh and I like the pen....

Cwalker935

Did you tube it or drill smaller to allow a press fit directly into the aluminum? If non tube can you share bit size?

I tubed it since I was not sure how well the aluminum would hold up to pressed in parts.

lwalper

I tubed it since I was not sure how well the aluminum would hold up to pressed in parts.

No need to tube it. Just measure a transmission and make a hole the right size to make a close fit. I doubt you'd be able to "press" much on the transmission -- you'll crush it (been there done that) since the aluminum won't stretch much like the brass tube does in softer materials.

Good looking pen!

Top Bottom