Aluminium Gentleman's Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Very pleased with this one. Quite a few man hours went into this, but has been well worth it. As for its sale... This one i will be keeping for myself i feel :)

Aluminium, Anodised Black, with detailing.

206009_132996573458684_117699231655085_204302_5071150_n.jpg

185550_132996903458651_117699231655085_204303_1827286_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

clapiana

wow what a crisp cleaning looking piece of art you created

porche comes to mind looking at that piece of engineering.

very nice job! the hours you invested show

i love the grain in the rocks too which fits into the theme

IPD_Mrs

That is an excellent pen. I may have to take a look at your tutorial on how to annodize ... Very professional looking and I love the lines.

Rick P

Wonderful pen and Thanks for an inspiration! You just clicked an idea I have been working on.......Many thanks!!!

Haynie

I made one sketch pencil and it is much too heavy. How weighty are these when you finish? In fact it was so heavy that I rethought making aluminum pens and decided to not pursue it and bought a wood lathe.

Really cool pen by the way.

Last edited:

BradG

Many thanks for the comments all :) my wife would like a purple one so i feel thats next weeks project

I made one sketch pencil and it is much too heavy. How weighty are these when you finish? In fact it was so heavy that I rethought making aluminum pens and decided to not pursue it and bought a wood lathe.

Really cool pen by the way.

The pen itself weighs 43G , and with the lid 73G

BigShed

Beautiful work, very well done.

I feel that you could make it look even better by replacing the gold finial with either a black anodised one or, even better, a white one to match the white dots.

BradG

I feel that you could make it look even better by replacing the gold finial with either a black anodised one or, even better, a white one to match the white dots.

That would actually be poor lighting. The two dots are shiny silver aluminium, which just shows as white in the pictures.

I would of loved to of replaced the finial, but thats not something i have attempted before and not too sure on the best way of removing them without causing damage to the kit itself. if anyone has any tips on this it would be appreciated

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful pen Brad. Yes, do keep it. I appreciate the clean look as well. There is a tutorial in the library about custom finials. I've never done this myself. But, it doesn't look that difficult. Keep them coming.

BigShed

That would actually be poor lighting. The two dots are shiny silver aluminium, which just shows as white in the pictures.

I would of loved to of replaced the finial, but thats not something i have attempted before and not too sure on the best way of removing them without causing damage to the kit itself. if anyone has any tips on this it would be appreciated

Sorry, didn't realise the dots were aluminium.

The finial can be easily removed by carefully drilling the little fixing stub inside the cap, just slowly drilling that with a drill bit larger than the stub then the finial either falls out or a slight tap with a pin punch will push it out.

It is then just a matter of turning a new finial to the right shape and diameter and leaving a short pin on it to fit the hole in the cap. A drop of medium or thick CA will fix it in place. Done.

I can show some photos of a wooden one I have done if you'd like.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35763&highlight=finial

Last edited:

BradG

Sorry, didn't realise the dots were aluminium.

The finial can be easily removed by carefully drilling the little fixing stub inside the cap, just slowly drilling that with a drill bit larger than the stub then the finial either falls out or a slight tap with a pin punch will push it out.

It is then just a matter of turning a new finial to the right shape and diameter and leaving a short pin on it to fit the hole in the cap. A drop of medium or thick CA will fix it in place. Done.

I can show some photos of a wooden one I have done if you'd like.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35763&highlight=finial

Thanks for the info Fred, and the example, that's very much appreciated. I am going to be making a purple one for my wife, and the last thing i wanted to do was leave a gold finial on it!

BradG

I must admit i am curious..

If you was to come across these at a craft show, what kind of price tag would you expect to see on them?

Top Bottom