Alumilite Home Brew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanner

Curtis has been helping me with the Alumilite and this is what I have come up with. It is very easy easy to work with. It staill has to be put in the pressure pot right away to get rid of little bubbles. That's whether you are using white or clear Alumilite. It turns like a dream. It does not come out as shiney as regular acrylics or CA finishes. This was with white Alumilite. It really lightens the colors. I think the clear comes out with a better shine.

7_Cigar%20Satin%20Nickle%20Alumilite%20Home%20Brew.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

Thanks everyone. As far as the swirls, I mixed the colors separately and then poured in 1/3 of each color alternating the colors until it was all in the mold. Just one blank. I then just took a popsicle stick and drug it through and swirled it a little. Nobody really tells how they create their home brews, so it was just a shot in the dark. I graduated in 76 and we are having an all 70's reunion this summer in my home town. I do believe pens like this will be a big hit.[;)]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Tanner,

That is a stunning pen! I really like it a lot! As for the shine with Alumilite...how have you been finishing it? I usually dry sand with regular paper to 600 grit and then switch to micro mesh to 4000. I then use Hut Plastic Polish wih the lathe running full speed and really work it in. I then put on a coat of hard carnuba wax with the lathe running and the finish turns out really nice and shiny. Pretty darn close to CA but not quite.

Tanner

Hi Curtis, I MM through 12,000 then hit it with Plastic Polish and High Gloss polish and finish it off with TSW. I however have the lathe on the slowest setting. I'll try the higher speed next time. Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom