Alumi-Bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fangar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangar

I just finished assembling this 300 win mag casing with aluminum top barrel. It came out a lot better than the photo shows. I used the Deft spray lacquer over the metals for protection, mostly from tarnish.

300aluminum.jpg

Cheers,

James

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fangar

Thanks for all of the nice comments folks. Always nice to have some aluminum around. Nice one Shane (Woodscavenger). I could just see the airport security rippen' at my shorts and finding that one in my pocket. "I swear, it's a pen". Oopsy.

LOL

James

BigRob777

I feel like a girine again. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, a girine is a Marine. GI-Marine. Nice pen, I'd love to make one. Is there a kit, or do you just put it together?
Rob

Fangar

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />I feel like a girine again. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, a girine is a Marine. GI-Marine. Nice pen, I'd love to make one. Is there a kit, or do you just put it together?
Rob

All you need is two casings, a slimline kit, round top euro kit, longer tube cut to length (for inside the 300 win casing), piece of 5/8" aluminum stock, a letter "K" drill bit, a letter "i" drill bit, a 7mm drill bit (metal boring)...

and a blender.

[:D]

Cheers,

Fangar

cjaussiepens

James, this is a great pen as all the previous ones have been ...... 300 win mag !!! I am a hunter (of ferals, animals that is ) but I don't think there would be any of those shells this side of Afria !!!! Its your fault, how the hell am I going to make a pen out of a .22rf casing????????? bet you already have it worked out... thanks for sharing and giving us inspiration...... Cj ........

Fangar

Originally posted by cjaussiepens
<br />James, this is a great pen as all the previous ones have been ...... 300 win mag !!! I am a hunter (of ferals, animals that is ) but I don't think there would be any of those shells this side of Afria !!!! Its your fault, how the hell am I going to make a pen out of a .22rf casing????????? bet you already have it worked out... thanks for sharing and giving us inspiration...... Cj ........

LOL [:D]. That would be one small pen. Thanks for the kind words.

James

woodguy1975

Very nice looking pen. Really nice. One note on the Deft. It won't adhear to the brass or aluminum very well. Be careful with any twisting action on the barrels. I think you'll find you can flake it right off with very little effort.

I've tried automotive clear coat. It is a water based coating. It adheared well, but was soft and easily damaged. I gave up on coating the brass until I can powder coat it.

Good Luck,

John

Fangar

Originally posted by woodguy1975
<br />Very nice looking pen. Really nice. One note on the Deft. It won't adhear to the brass or aluminum very well. Be careful with any twisting action on the barrels. I think you'll find you can flake it right off with very little effort.

I've tried automotive clear coat. It is a water based coating. It adheared well, but was soft and easily damaged. I gave up on coating the brass until I can powder coat it.

Good Luck,

John

Thanks for the advice. So far it is holding up. We will see. I have let it harden for about 6 days now. The good thing is that if it does start to go, it can easily be peeled off. I am getting together the items necessary for powdercoating. Will likely go that route.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom