Alternative Ivory with Bloodwood Cross

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ElMostro

ElMostro

"Eugene's Ivory" with Bloodwood Cross.
I have been working on this design for a while. I finally got it down to where I am happy with the final product. The blank is made from alumilite and the cross is bloodwood. The cross goes all the way through so it is visible from two sides. It is on a 22kt Jr. Statesman kit. The finish is; sand up to 12000mm, then several coats of med CA then polished with Novus. So, wadayathink?

IvoryBloodwood1.jpg

IvoryBloodwood2.jpg

Eugene.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I noticerd you put CA on the alternate ivory, how does this hold up and would it chip off??? I can see you have to seal the wood but was wondering about the ivory??? Thanks for the reply.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Avoid confusion!! Ivory

Eugene,

The pen and cross are beautiful and very well executed.

To avoid confusion, however, we should make clear that any techniques you employ to finish alumilite are NOT the same techniques that I would recommend for "Alternative ivory" that I sell.

Let me clarify that Eugene is completely within his rights to CALL this alternative ivory - the name is generic and not protected by any copyrights, as far as I know. I just don't want people to use a CA finish on MY product, as I feel it degrades the material and actually makes it more likely to crack.

Again, its a GREAT pen!!!

Snorton20

So, what does the lower case t stand for embedded in that pen? Only kidding Eugene, I made one of the coffee bean blanks I got from you and it flew out of my hands and ended up in another persons hands as a gift. Thanks so much. Sorry I did not get back to say thanks. They showed up 2 Fridays ago and next day I was on vacation in Nags Head, NC. Oh, In case I forgot to mention it, again a beautiful pen. Excellent work.

ElMostro

Thanks all for the compliments and my apologies if my post caused any confusion. The blank used in the pen is made of alumilite a material very different than what Ed's blanks are made of (which I have no Idea what it is but having bought some from him in the past I know it is not alumilite). I use a CA finish on alumilite and it works fine. To avoid any further confusion I will hence forth this day call the material "Eugene's Ivory" and will still mention that it is made from alumilite.

Ed, sorry for the confusion.

Jeff Powell, I did nick a finger while cutting the blanks...does that count as a donation?;)

Joe Norton, it started as an upper case "T" but as the blank got smaller the "T" turned lower case... :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eugene,

I reiterate, you have EVERY RIGHT to call it what you want!!!!

BTW, I think Eugene"S Ivory is GREAT!!

But Alternative Ivory is certainly your right!!!!!

Just don't want people to use a CA finish on MINE, I have tried and I am not happy with it. (I also have no idea what it is -we BUY them, we don't MAKE them!!!)

Thanks for your reaction. Always happy to see people "Getting along!!"

jttheclockman

OK now I am more confused. Is the stuff that CSUSA sells that they call alternate ivory is what and can you or should you coat it with CA or anything other than polish????

ElMostro

John, hello there and sorry again for the confusion. This blank NOT from CSUSA and is not comercially available, I made it in my "Lab" (read garage) and it is made of alumilite. Alumilite is the same material I use to make my Coffe bean blanks. This pen is finished with CA, I also finish all my coffee pens with CA and have never had a problem.

As Ed mentioned earlier, he recommends NOT to use CA on the Alternative Ivory HE sells.

I have not worked with the CSUSA version so I can't help you there. Hope this helps, Eugene.

OK now I am more confused. Is the stuff that CSUSA sells that they call alternate ivory is what and can you or should you coat it with CA or anything other than polish????

Last edited:
Top Bottom