Alt Ivory Jr Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JerrySambrook

JerrySambrook

Another kit that comes from Exotic.
The Alt Ivory is also a blank from those two fine people.

Does anyone have a pic taking suggestion to get grain of the ivory to show up better?

Attachments

• 100_1259 (Large).jpg
    100_1259 (Large).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_1275 (Large).jpg
    100_1275 (Large).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 100_1278 (Large).jpg
    100_1278 (Large).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Really beautiful work.

For the grain showing, try to under expose one stop then two stops. This will darken the pen. My camera will automatically take a series of shots a given amount apart and splice them together. For this to work, the camera should be on a fixed surface, ie. tripod. Otherwise, your photos look real good, even lighting, hidden or subdued shadows and well focused. Keep up the good work and practice the camera work.

PM me if I can help with photos.

Charles

el_d

Looks really nce Jerry. Sorry I can't offer any suggestions on the pic taking, I'm photography chalenged.

I got a nice piece from them too that I don't have the guts to drill thru. Once I get the equipment I'll drill on the lathe.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think your pictures are GREAT, Jerry!!

Makes the gold look gold and the ivory look warm(ish).

Certainly should be an easy pen to sell!!!

As to drilling and turning the Alt ivory--I don't have a problem with either, but I have done a lot of it---what is your opinion ---be honest, so if new guys want to try it, they know what to expect.

Thanks for showing!!!

JerrySambrook

I drill it fine, around 500 rpm.
As for turning, I am a skew guy, and I think it turns a little dusty until getting into the blank just a wee bit, then it peals nice for me

Then again, as I say in my demos, there is nothing that beats a good sharp tool, and that is why I use two skews, one for rough and one for finishing, so I always have a sharp edge to the piece I am turning

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I drill it fine, around 500 rpm.
As for turning, I am a skew guy, and I think it turns a little dusty until getting into the blank just a wee bit, then it peals nice for me

Then again, as I say in my demos, there is nothing that beats a good sharp tool, and that is why I use two skews, one for rough and one for finishing, so I always have a sharp edge to the piece I am turning

Excellent advice and ANOTHER free lesson on IAP!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks again, Jerry!!

toddlajoie

Does anyone have a pic taking suggestion to get grain of the ivory to show up better?

I'm not familiar with the look of Alt Ivory in person, so I can't picture what the grain might look like, but if you're going to be at the Turning for Troops and want to bring it along, I can bring my camera and a few diffusers/reflectors and we can play around a bit and see if we can get it to show better.

The blue background makes the blank look significantly warmer, not sure if the white or blue shots are closer to what you think it looks like in person, but I do know how difficult it can be to see slight variations in such light materials...

Top Bottom