Also knocked out a few pens today..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

I have an outlet in Knoxville that carries some of my pens and other turnings... they wanted some black pens so I did some today... first is a water buffalo horn Baron with Sterling fixtures..
20082154853_Feb14%20008.jpg

20082154935_Feb14%20014.jpg

wet sanded through 12000 and then Hut plastic polish.
Second is a Gentlemen's rollerball, water buffalo barrel with an african blackwood cap. Had planned to make the cap water buffalo also, but because of the size of the cap, I blew out the blank when I was drilling...
200821541244_Feb14%20021.jpg

200821541317_Feb14%20024.jpg

This last one is all African Blackwood .. the blank was a 1 x 1 x 12 that I got at WC and was labeled Ebony.. there is some brown running through it, so suspect it's not true ebony... I also cut the cap of the pen above fromt the same stick..
20082154164_Feb14%20030.jpg

200821541634_Feb14%20038.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Originally posted by R2

Good match up of materials and well made but for me they are suffering excess girth.:)[:p]

I agree with Arthur about the girth, I like them a little slimmer!
Good work though, lovely kit and blank marriage![:p]

I'm going to post this and may have to eat the words later, but I've had good luck with the Buffalo Horn.. To date, I've never had one crack. I've cracked a few drilling, because I was drilling with a very large bore drill and cutting very close to the limit on the size... the second in the series above was supposed to be a gentlemen's rollerball in all water buffalo horn... the cap is huge and I was almost all the way through the blank when I applied a little too much pressure and wound up with 4 pieces for the cap.... after a few choices words for my Sunday school lesson, I took the ebony and finished the pen.
I drilled each piece with a tub of cold water handy... I would drill for about 1/2 inch and then toss the blank in the water for a couple of minutes... keep the horn cool. Same with turning and sanding... watch the heat... I did a quick dry sand to rough smooth the blank then switch to cold water wet sanding of the tubes to final finish. And the water was cold... I keep a gallon jug of water in the shop for wet sanding... there was ice floating in the jug from the night before.

I was going to post my gloat above... I took the pens up to my outlet to show them... along with 6 others I finished last week... plus the 3 peppermills I show in "other things"... they took them all... over $500 whole sale today.

Top Bottom