Alot shorter than i thought it would be

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crabcreekind

crabcreekind

Ok, so first i got this kit to try out the 1 tube style, and i like it except for... that it is pretty short. But maybe that is a good thing. I am going to try the sierras next instead of the polaris'. So the first is a cherry burl that i got from my dads friend in oregon. (he makes the nicest chisels ever!). I picked up this blank and i thouht i would try it, it was covered in some crap so i thought it was just some funky blank. But then i cut it and i was like, hey this is cherry burl. I turned this with 1/2 bowl gouge and my dads woodchuck rougher, or something like it. and then i sanded to 600 5 coats of thin ca with accelerator in between coats, then 600grit and mm to 12k then hut plastic polish. The next is a ebony pencil that i got from the same guy. I just did a friction polish on this cuz i kept messing up on the ca finish, and almost threw it across the shop after like the 4th time messing up. I just had to use this kit up. This was one of my first kits that i got from wc in spokane. Ps if you wanna see his chisels its http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/. all criticizes are welcome.

Attachments

• 100_5420.jpg
    100_5420.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_5421.jpg
    100_5421.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_5423.jpg
    100_5423.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Nice pens, the slim is a very elegant look...

My wife and kids absolutely LOVE the Polaris/Atlas/whatever pen kit. My wife tends to confiscate more of my pens than I do, but if they would just make the circuit boards and laser kits for this series, she would probably only use them...

From a turning perspective, i also find them interesting to make, as there is a fair amount of freedom to be had between the ends, and even at the top, due to the wide spacing under the clip. I've taken to rounding out the upper end to a pronounced circular profile, which makes it so you don't even need to use the bushing or measure the end...

Rippling%20Water%20Atlas%2001w.jpg

broitblat

Both are nicely done -- good looking blanks turned into great looking pens. I especially like the cherry burl.

I've never actually done an Atlas/Polaris. How is the balance?

-Barry

ghostrider

I did an atlas awhile back, and yest they are a little on the short side. The Wall Street/Sierra/...etc is longer and the tube is wider also. However, they are not finial opperated lilke the Atlas/Polaris is. If that doesn't matter to you, then I just recently tried a Wall Street, and like the way it came out. Some of it's features I like, but I prefer it to be finial opperated, so I ordered the Monet', and plan on getting some of Smitty's kits in the future.

Nice pens, and thanks for sharing. It's been fun watching you document your progression as a pen turner on these forums. We started about the same time, and your clearly a faster learner than myself.

Lenny

Nice work!
I love cherry burl!

I can't say I'm crazy about that particular kit though but that's no reflection on what you have done with it.

crabcreekind

I did an atlas awhile back, and yest they are a little on the short side. The Wall Street/Sierra/...etc is longer and the tube is wider also. However, they are not finial opperated lilke the Atlas/Polaris is. If that doesn't matter to you, then I just recently tried a Wall Street, and like the way it came out. Some of it's features I like, but I prefer it to be finial opperated, so I ordered the Monet', and plan on getting some of Smitty's kits in the future.

Nice pens, and thanks for sharing. It's been fun watching you document your progression as a pen turner on these forums. We started about the same time, and your clearly a faster learner than myself.

The tube on the sierra is 3/8 and so is the tube on the polaris, but sierra tubes are shorter.

Last edited:

ghostrider

I did an atlas awhile back, and yest they are a little on the short side. The Wall Street/Sierra/...etc is longer and the tube is wider also. However, they are not finial operated like the Atlas/Polaris is. If that doesn't matter to you, then I just recently tried a Wall Street, and like the way it came out. Some of it's features I like, but I prefer it to be finial operated, so I ordered the Monet', and plan on getting some of Smitty's kits in the future.

The tube on the sierra is 3/8 and so is the tube on the polaris, but sierra tubes are shorter.
You sure about the Sierra being a 3/8" tube?

Might want to double check that since Rockler, Berea, Bear Tooth, and Arizona Silhouette all list it as 27/64". It is shorter though, but the overall length of the pen is still longer than the Atlas or Polaris.

ghostrider

hmm i guess it is a 27/64 that sucks because i just got a 3/8 colt bit. I could have swore i saw it was 3/8 but i guess not
There can be some confusion. The Aero's are 3/8", as are the Squires (Majestic, and Art Deco) from PSI. So are some of the Elegant Beauty's. I can't say for certain since I've never had the pleasure, but I also think they are shorter than the 27/64" kits of Sierra/Wall Street/ ....name your name I suppose.

3/8" will also fit the Retro from Berea, and the Executive from PSI, so it isn't like there aren't a lot of nice kits to use it for.

Mason Kuettel

I just had a lady ask for some of this kit. I had never done one before and quickly realized the tube is 3/8 not 27/64 and the tube is longer but overall length of the pen is shorter than the sierra/wsII style.

Nice looking pen, hope mine turns out as nice!

Last edited:
Top Bottom