Almost kitless practice pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Visited with Mike Roux (Bluwolf) to learn to make a pen without all the hardware. Using Mikes really nice metal lathe, we got the blanks drilled and, threads cut. I then took it home to finish it with my hand tools. I used the nib and, refill from a Baron I messed up last year sometime. I should have smoothed the edge of the cap but didn't catch that right off. But, I see it now. Thanks to Mike for the help. I expect to have more fun with these pens.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:biggrin:Could you make it any brighter? SHeesh you could use it for an emergancy flare if you break down in your El Camino. Not that they ever break down....

Its a great start Chuck and you will soon be past the point of no return.

Mike

redfishsc

Nice and simple, which is what a pen oughta look like anyhow :D. I like this.

And the hot orange is awesome :D, always make your prototypes something flashy if you can, since, well, you CAN.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
:biggrin:Could you make it any brighter? SHeesh you could use it for an emergancy flare if you break down in your El Camino. Not that they ever break down....

Its a great start Chuck and you will soon be past the point of no return.

Mike
Keyword, PRACTICE pen. :biggrin: I should have lots of these.:rolleyes: The orange makes it easy to find on my bench:biggrin: Thanks Mike!

Nice and simple, which is what a pen oughta look like anyhow :D. I like this.

And the hot orange is awesome :D, always make your prototypes something flashy if you can, since, well, you CAN.
Thanks Matt, once I get accustomed to making these, the style should improve a little. But, I agree, nice and, simple does it for me.

simomatra

Well done Chuck, it looks pretty sweet from here and you say only practice!

Its on my to do list to go kitless but I missed the last tap and die buy so have to wait until there is enough for another buy.

bluwolf

Nice work Chuck! I was going to call you today to see how it was coming. Now I don't have to. Great job.

Mike

SDB777

Nice save on the 'wasted' Baron kit!

Looks good, and don't worry about the 'not rounded' cap...I like a crisp edge sometimes.

Scott (kitless = way cool) B

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for the comments. We used 1/2-20 threads on the cap. Available at your local hardware store :biggrin: This was a fun project.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks everyone for the comments. We used 1/2-20 threads on the cap. Available at your local hardware store :biggrin: This was a fun project.
I have been corrected by the teacher. :redface: The thread size we used was, M12 X 1.75 Sorry for any inconveinience this mistake may have created.:redface:

Top Bottom