Almost done for the show...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

SuperDave

Here is a sampling of more show inventory: Current count is just over 40...

Hand Dyed Blue Maple Burl in Black Titanium
2008228312_Blue%20Maple%20Streamline.jpg

Curly Red Ash in Chrome... could not get the gloss to show in this picture to save myself[8D]
20082283222_Curly%20Red%20Ash.jpg

Red Celluloid Baron in Black Titanium
20082283359_Celluloid%20Baron.jpg

Hand Dyed Green Maple Burl in Chrome
20082283445_Green%20Maple%20Elegant.jpg

Hand Dyed Red Maple Burl in Chrome
20082283533_Red%20Maple%20Streamline.jpg

Working on the Dip Pens this weekend... display stands, tags, business cards re-done, website tuned up and, if time allows, another 6-10 mid-priced pens... as I was told checks and cash were the fare for the day...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Absolutely beautiful, my favourite is the first Streamline in Blue Maple Burl and black titanium hardware, all are great though![:p]

Good luck for the show!:)

Phil they are Elegant American kits.

jhs494

Very nice selection of pens. The blue Maple with Black Ti is awesome, great choice of kits to blank. That one won't last long, someone will snatch it up quick.
Good luck with the show.

SuperDave

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville

Nice start Dave...

They all look excellent..

I try and keep a show inventory at about 250-300 pens., get busy!![:0]

Jim,

I have no idea what to expect. This is a Juried Artist Invitational event of various media... so I am going in totally blind. I am not looking to get into any show circuits (which I don't think even exist in the NW...) and can only hope I can cover the two six hour days...[?]

...250-300 pens??!!

SuperDave

Originally posted by TowMater

Great pens Dave.

I'd be very interested in hearing about how you go about dyeing your pens.

Todd

Todd,

Thanks for the comments!

I apply the dye(s) using a Q-Tip with the lathe turning at a slow speed. I use a blow dryer to dry the blanks quickly. Apply additional dye if I want a darker color. Sand lightly so as not to remove too much color. Apply a CA finish and assemble.

Plan to do a pictorial once I get past the show and re-organize the shop.

Dave

SuperDave

Originally posted by igran7

Very nice pens Dave. I just live down the road from you in Clackamas. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find a juried show?

Joe,

The Three Rivers Art Guild is sponsering the event. They waived the Juried protocol for me, as I was invited specifically by one of the board members, who vouched for me.

I attached the PDF file of the postcard and the following text was on the back as well. Stop by and say hello:)

Download Attachment: heART of Oregon postcard.pdf
82.12KB

heART of Oregon Art Show
A Museum Benefit filled with Art
Museum of the Oregon Territory
211 Tumwater Drive
Oregon City, OR 97045

Silent Art Auction to benefit the Museum
Friday, February 8th 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
hors d'oeuvres and beverages $20
call Wynee for tickets 503.655.5574

Saturday & Sunday, February 9th & 10th
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Free Museum admission
30 professional artists showing and selling on the 3rd floor

SuperDave

Thanks for the information Dave. I may stop by on Friday, I'd love to see your display.

It's going to be fairly simple, as I am not gearing up for other shows, just treating this as a "one-shot-deal." Will try to make a decent display but have no intention of going all out..

I am getting the impression this is more than a typical Craft Show, more sedate I suppose, so I am going low key.

Dave

igran7

Dave, I primarily sell my pens in a couple of shops here in Oregon & California & a few overseas. I've never done a show before, nor have I seen one except in photographs. Because the show is not a craft show but an "art" show I think your impression is spot on, low key is probably a good choice. Each pen is a work of art and should be looked at as such, if you cluttered your table with 200+ pens it would be difficult to appreciate each individual piece.

Hi Joe,

I also do juried shows, what I have found from my experience is that customers want choice, and if there is less than a "visual" amount of choice they sometimes feel that the presentation has already been picked over and they are left with what did not sell.

This is what my presentation looks like with about 200 pens

IMG_9836.jpg

I understand though, if you place your market appeal at a specific level that you will only attract those looking for that niche of pen. My approach is to appeal to a wider market.

I also have my work in a local art gallery. What works there is not what works in the juried shows. The gallery is more about preception and variety of choice is not as critical, precivied value is. My experience is that the gallery customers buy with different criteria, more on looks than anything else. They are not worried about the "Picked Over" look on inventory.

igran7

Your display and pens very impressive Jim. I have a lot to learn when it comes to shows. One of these days I may take the leap and actually participate in one. But as Dave mentioned earlier, there aren't many if any show circuits in the N.W. most of the shows around here are low end craft shows or Bazaars.

Your display and pens very impressive Jim. I have a lot to learn when it comes to shows. One of these days I may take the leap and actually participate in one. But as Dave mentioned earlier, there aren't many if any show circuits in the N.W. most of the shows around here are low end craft shows or Bazaars.

You are very kind Joe, Thank You:)

I like to share what I know and offer any help if I can to those that can benifit from my experiences, it works for all of us to do just that.

I totally understand the Craft Show, Church Bizzare atmosphere as well, been there too...[:eek:)] (You want $35!!, I thought it was 35 cents!).[:0]

Geography does play a role in controlling what markets you can access, finding the "Good Ones" is the challenge.

I have learnt a great deal here on IAP, trying to give back now is something I value:)

SuperDave

Jim,

Nice presentations. I agree with both you and Joe. There are two different dynamics at play, based on the setting and target audience. On one hand, you want an air of artistic exclusivity (especially with all the higher end mix medias in one setting) and yet you do not want to look like a picked over craft display.

My approach is to be minimalistic but somewhat sophisticated in my display; thus I am going with a multi-tiered module display approach with all the pens displayed individually, so I can adjust the display as/if needed.

My goal is more for focus group type feedback, not sales; though sales are welcome;). Also, gaining exposure as in investment in future sales is another goal.

Given that I was approached with barely a month to get ready, and was told to plan on bringing "about 40 pens" buy the Guild member, there is no way I could gear up for 250-300 pens and put together a display, etc...

In the old retail grocery days, they use to jack the prices up if inventory was running low... I even knew some produce managers to sprinkle cigarette butts on their displays to slow sales until more inventory arrived[}:)]... figuring the last thing they wanted was an empty shelf/display... don't know what I am going do, 'cause I don't smoke...;)

Top Bottom