Alligator Wrestling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from broitblat

Status
Not open for further replies.

broitblat

This is from a set of alligator (bone) blanks I got from Robert Snowden.

I haven't turned a lot of bone/horn/antler, but this one was probably the most work of any pen I've ever attempted. The bone was extremely hard. I resharpened my (M2) tools at least a dozen times during the course of turning. Still, I had to throw a few other tricks at it including a file and a lot of sand paper. For all of that, one section was pretty punky, so I also used a lot of CA as I filled a series of holes that developed :-(

I like the way if came out, but I don't think I'll be doing a lot of these (I spent probably 3-4 hours on this one over 2 days).

Cheers,

-Barry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowman56

Hey Barry, For your first and maybe (probably) your last gator pen, it looks darn right good. You did superior. It is the hardest thing I have ever turned, too. Turns my saw blade red when sawing up the bones. We just left the gator festival where we sold a few gator pens. They are my best sellers, but they do take a LOT of time and plenty of sharpening up the tools. Congrats! [:D]

broitblat

Originally posted by snowman56
<br />Hey Barry, For your first and maybe (probably) your last gator pen, it looks darn right good. You did superior. It is the hardest thing I have ever turned, too. Turns my saw blade red when sawing up the bones. We just left the gator festival where we sold a few gator pens. They are my best sellers, but they do take a LOT of time and plenty of sharpening up the tools. Congrats! [:D]

Robert,

I don't intend this to be my last, it's just not something I'll tackle every day [:)] I do like the looks of the result which is why I wanted to try these blanks in the first place.

Thanks to everyone else for you kind comments.

-Barry

OKLAHOMAN

Barry, really nice, I've turned a couple of gator pens and have to agree its time comsuming just going back anf forth to the grinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom