For all the fishermen (or women)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had another one of my crazy ideas for a pen blank! My father in law is a big fisherman and takes my wife and I each year to the Texas coast to go bay fishing. Now, I am used to using a spinning reel and am quite good with one but he insists that on his boat, you will only use baitcasting reels. Well, anyone who has used one for the first time will know all about the term "birds nest or backlash"! For those that don't, it is the most god aweful tangle you can get in fishing line! For a while, until I got the hang of it, I had the nickname of "backlash bast-rd"! I made this pen for him...

Introducing...the backlash pen!

2007119818_Fishing%20line%20sierra1.jpg

20071198136_Fishing%20line%20sierra%202.jpg

2007119828_Fishing%20line%20sierra%203.jpg

20071198234_fishing%20line%20sierra%204.jpg

To make the blank I took some fishing line and made the biggest mess I could. I then packed it into my mold and poured in Alumilite resin. Once cured, I drilled and painted the inside of the blank with white paint to help show off the fishing line. It could use some more line but this was the best I could get at the time! Not the prettiest pen out there but is certainly something different!

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

olsenla

Curtis,

That is a really neat pen!! I really enjoyed your story that goes with it----I don't fish anymore--won't go into the reasons why LOL.

Larry

M

Mudder

I'll bet it would also look nice if you wound the line on the blank just like on the baitcaster and casted it in resin like that. Another idea that comes to mind is to find some real thick line or a different color and try the same thing.

Them dang baitcasters is half the reason I took up fly fishing. [:(!]

TBone

What's a backlash? I've never tried to make that looong cast and over throw. [:D][:D] Hey, if you can't use a baitcasting reel these days you need to give up fishing. They even have magnets to keep the spool from over rotating. Curtis, try that with Stren fishing line. When sunlight hits it, it changes color. My question is why did you have to make "the biggest mess I could"? Why didn't you just cut off one of your backlashes? [:D] If you need some more line, I think I still have some backlashes on my reels.

But I like the idea and the pen looks good.

Skye

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />I'll bet it would also look nice if you wound the line on the blank just like on the baitcaster and casted it in resin like that.

Man I didnt know you posted that idea. I just said something similar on TPS a few hours ago:

Would probably also look good if the whole tube was wrapped in the line, like a spool.

johncrane

Thats a great story Curtis and a very cleaver idea! the pen turned out ok l like it because its different!your father in law is one step ahead of you gives you a bait caster/overhead reel so you spend most of the day fixing what we call a birdsnest while he catches all the fish.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom