All Corian Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drawknife

drawknife

Heres an all Corian Cigar. Aruba, Beach and some kind of white and red that I got from gokartergo (Dan). I know its not real popular with some turners but I really like working with corian as well as wood. Upgrade gold kit from AS.

20082802612_corian_cigar.jpg

Any comments are welcome..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Way back when I started back in last August, I was going to make "All my pens out of Exotic hardwoods" [^] Then I saw some antler pens, so I did a few[:eek:)] Then one day at work I got bored and had some stuff in my car so I chucked up a piece of Aluminum, made a pen out of that,[:p] Then I bought a blank of Acrylic, Now I'm casting my own,[}:)] saw a thing on shell cartridge pens, Did one used Acrylic for the center ban and antler for the top,,[B)]

Bottom line is, you made a real nice looking pen! :):) Considering what I've seen here in a few short months, They Ain't No Correct Medium or Material to make a nice looking pen from, if you enjoy turning it then it's cool [8D][8D][8D]

jwoodwright

Terry, great looking pen. You did a great job with the accents, looks seamless.

Here's a Brown speckled I turned. It's a professional installer glue-up. I traded a bunch, may have some left.

2008284351_Brown%20Speckled%20Corian%20Cigar%20005.jpg

doddman70

That is a very nice job and pen. the segments look real nice and I think it blends nicely. I have not used corian yet so I am not familiar with it but is that the barrel I see or just the pattern of the corian? sometimes its hard to tell in pictures?

drawknife

Originally posted by doddman70

That is a very nice job and pen. the segments look real nice and I think it blends nicely. I have not used corian yet so I am not familiar with it but is that the barrel I see or just the pattern of the corian? sometimes its hard to tell in pictures?

Shane I hope I'm understanding barrel as the nib section. I'm still pretty new to terminologies. The tube isn't showing through there's a couple of different kinds of corian in the barrel, one called Aruba, the dark gray sides and then I ca glued in a center piece that is lighter that I think is called Beach corian. There's also some kind of white on the ends, really nice pure white. I hope I have grasped what area you're talking about. :)

drawknife

Originally posted by clement

Very nice pen. Never used Corian, did you turn it like Acryl ? What about the finish ?

It turns like acrylic, only easier I think. I think it doesn't have some of the same problems you do with acrylics, especially acrylester. I can be shot down for the finish I suppose, the pen was wet sanded 220 grit, 400 grit then wet MM 1500-12000. only think I did after that was use Hutts uiltra plastic polish.

Rick_G

Terry

Does it stink when you drill or turn it. That's the main reason I'm staying away from acrylics. Shops in the basement and on the same heat & vent as the rest of the house.

drawknife

It has an odor, its not anything that is going to be packaged as freshener yet. It doesn't stink like deer stag/antlers, nothing that bad. My wife says it smells funny. I asked does that mean bad, she says no, just different. So I guess it just depends on your smell tolerance level :D

DozerMite

Banned
Nice pen.Nice joints too.
I've done several solid surface pens and they are easy to turn. The stuff I used didn't give ribbons, but more of a powder. I use solid surface for scrolling mostly.

drawknife

Originally posted by jwoodwright

Terry, great looking pen. You did a great job with the accents, looks seamless.

Here's a Brown speckled I turned. It's a professional installer glue-up. I traded a bunch, may have some left.

2008284351_Brown%20Speckled%20Corian%20Cigar%20005.jpg

Nice pen John, maybe we can work up a trade in the future if you still have some when I have enough of anything to trade with.:)

Top Bottom