Algarita stabilized with resin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is a Churchill RB made with wood that has been filled with resin. I actually put the blanks in a mold and cast them with resin in my pressure pot, just like a pure resin blank. This forces the resin into the smallest of cracks and makes an otherwise unusable piece of wood, useable again.

The wood is Algarita which is a very yellow wood bush that grows here in Central Texas. The best part is the roots.

2006111112513_Algarita%20Grande2.jpg

200611111284_Algarita%20Grande1.jpg

Comments, good or bad, are appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Very nice Curtis. I have some blanks I have been wanting to do that to. Finally broke down and bought the pressure pot and will need to learn the resin. Your using Alumilite correct?

Skye

Yoooooo make me sick! That thing is freakin sweet, first or second pen I've seen in that kit that I really thought looked good with it.

chigdon

That is some wood I have been wanting to try! I saw a wood sample of that wood a while back and it is amazing!!! I know you were looking to try this technique and it seems to be a huge success PLUS this is one of the coolest pens I have ever seen!!!

Dario

Super Cool Curtis!!!

Now I know what to do with my cracked Agarita roots!!! [:D][8D] Good thing I didn't throw them away yet.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
File that under the "now why didn't I think of that" column.

Awesome looking pen, and fantastic idea...!!!... [:)][:p]

Suddenly that pile of exotic firewood I have starts looking better.

Radman

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Yoooooo make me sick! That thing is freakin sweet, first or second pen I've seen in that kit that I really thought looked good with it.

I have to agree. Perfectly awesome. You're really turning out some real hot stuff!

Curtis,
As an Ex-Tex, I never heard of an Algarita... I wonder if it's like the Barb Berry (sp) bush we have here in Tennessee... It's green with a hint of red in the leaves, and lots of little barbs.. prevous owner of my house planted them under all of the windows as burglary deterrants... but when you cut the branches, the wood is brilliant yellow like your pen... My bushes are all pretty small, but there might be some usable wood down near the roots....... wonder if my wife would notice if I cut a couple for pens?[}:)][}:)]

Jamie

Curtis, the pen is very special, the wood is outrages! My question to you is how do you get your pictures to come out so perfectly with that black background? Do you manually adjust the F-Stop? Whatever you're doing, it sure looks good.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Kind of looks like someone made a wood pen that was suppose to look like an acrylic pen that looks like a wood pen.
Well I hope you know what I mean.
Excellent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom