Alfalfa Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russet

Here is my first photo posting. I'm still working on the finer aspects of photograhpy. It is a Jr Statesman made from a stabilized Alfalfa Cube.

20071126232049_Alfalfa%20Jr%20Statesman%20Revised.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russet

An alfalfa cube is made from Alfalfa hay compressed under high pressure and extruded in a cube about 1.25 inches square and 2 to 4 inches long depending on were it breaks off. I stabilized them in Poly, but had to do it 3 times in order to strengthen them up enough. I have found that it is very hard on tool steel since there is so much grit in the hay cubes. I will have to sharpen my Gouge and skew at least 2 times each just to make 1 pen; usually I can do 10 or more wood pens before re-sharpening. My poor band saw blade has taken a real beating. But it seems to be worth it since they are very unusual and sell well. If you want more details I would be happy to share.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Russet,

I have been attempting to sell them in Chicago for over a year. So far, have sold THREE. ($38 a pop for cigar style).

Uncrunch the cube and cast the alfalfa in resin, it is a little clearer but a lot easier on your tools.[;)][;)]

workinforwood

Yea, I think it's really great too. I know all about them alfalfa cubes, being I deliver them, but hadn't thought about making a pen from one, although I don't know or have equipment to stabilize them. I know we also have smashed solid bird seed blocks. Edible guinea pig homes that are compressed alfalfa and other things. Hmmm...lots of solid compressed dog biscuits and assortments of sausages. None of those are too attractive, other than the bird seed, and alfalfa cubes that I can think off off hand. Maybe you'd like some compacted shrimp from the fish section? [:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom