Alchemy Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TX_Planes

TX_Planes

Alchemy blank from Exoticblanks with a Jr. Gent kit. This is amazing in person. The blank that is...of which I only turned. This looks very stormy to me. I wet sanded to 12000MM and polished. I turned without a mandrel. I also tried sanding the blank square on the lathe for the first time. I ended up with a very nice fit! I'll be using this process in the future.

Very happy with how this turned out.

Attachments

• Alchemy pen jr gent.jpg
    Alchemy pen jr gent.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

The fit does look very nice! Good job! What does it take to sand on the lathe like you mentioned? (In other words, how'd you do it, if you don't mind me asking?)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Beautiful pen and blank. I have one similar but the colors were not mixed like yours.

This is one of the beauties of turning Dawns stuff. People often say that when wood is turned you sometimes get a suprise when you get it to the correct size.
When you have one of these blanks ( in the square ) in front of you, you think mmmmmmmmmmmm ok, nice. But then in sits in your stash pile for yonks.
Then when you eventually get to using it, the first thing you think is why the heck you didn't use it on a better kit!!!!

I learnt to take the blanks and round them up first before deciding what to do with them. I even polish them first. I find it makes it a lot easier for someone to choose the blank for their pen if they can see the material in the round.

Alchemy is one of my favourites and you did a cool job with it:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have WATCHED these blanks being poured - many times.

I can tell you the process is the same each time and it SHOULD yield interesting results in the middle of the blank (where the pen will be made, eventually). But, nothing is perfect. And, with this process, timing is VERY important and not always predictable (affected by temperature and humidity in the lab!! --- Boiling spaghetti for dinner will help sway the whole equation!!)

Kaspar

Very happy with how this turned out.

You should be. That is very nice!

Silver colored parts are the way to go on those, if you must have it in a kit. I think Dawn's blanks look best as closed end pens. No color of kit really works with the varied colors, in my opinion. Admittedly, our choices are limited (something like gold, something like silver, or Black Ti, or a combination thereof, mostly.)

Ed, I always figured Dawn had grasped that the center of the blank is where the action needs to be. She may miss the mark from time to time, but at least she knows where the target area is.

TX_Planes

Thanks everyone.

Zach, I'll take a picture of my lathe sanding setup and post in a few days.

Top Bottom