Alabaster Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

This is my first attempt at any type of stone. I picked it up at the hobby lobby and managed to cut a blank out of it. If I am careful I could get 6 blanks out of it. I managed to get it down to size.

Let me know what yall think and thanks for looking.
AlabasterandSierras004.jpg

AlabasterandSierras003.jpg

AlabasterandSierras005.jpg

AlabasterandSierras001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
When I put the hardwear on it had spidervein cracks appear. How can Ifix this in the future?
That's most probably caused by the expansion of the brass tube when you press the hardware in. Might try reaming it out a little and using locktight to glue the hardware in.

firewhatfire

leads to my next question, what do all of you use to ream out the inside of the tube? the other item I had crack something while inserting was a whistle with acrylic.

Phil

Finatic

Great job. Alabaster is touchy at best to work with. I'm trying different methods of gluing the tube in and I'm going to try thin ca as a finish. Hoping it will hold together.

thewishman

My best method is to put a transfer punch in the jacobs chuck and tape a piece of 150 abranet to the end. Set the lathe at about 500 and hold the open end of the barrel to the abranet (it lasts much longer than sandpaper). I sand the brass until the part slides in, then use epoxy to glue the component in.

Top Bottom