Alabaster Aero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Laurenr

Laurenr

I'm not sure I want to do this again, but here is my first try at Alabaster (Soapstone). A friend brought me some alabaster from Southern Utah and asked if I could make a pen out of it. I was doubtful, but then thought, hell I saw a pen made out of a horse chestnut the other day, so why not. :wink:

I go some chipping upon removal of the bushings, but other than that I think it came out pretty good.

Now I will go sharpen my tools.

Lauren

Attachments

• Alabaster 1.jpg
    Alabaster 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Lauren,That's incredible! Love the coloring. Perfect hardware for it! You mentioned tools...what did you turn it with? I'm very interested.

PaulDoug

I think that is a great pen! I have some alabaster but haven't had the nerve to try it yet. It is much harder than the soap stone things I have turned. I love turning soapstone. But it is a mess to clean up after.

MartinPens

I think that is a great pen! I have some alabaster but haven't had the nerve to try it yet. It is much harder than the soap stone things I have turned. I love turning soapstone. But it is a mess to clean up after.

I also have a piece of Alabaster - but have not wanted to approach it. I don't know how to cut it and I don't want to use my good tools on it. What do I cut it with - my band saw blade? And what tool(s) did you use to turn it?

Martin

Laurenr

I first cast it with Alumilite, hoping that might stabilize it some. I used my regular bandsaw blade, and drilled with an older, but sharpened, drill, then did a good bit of the turning on the belt sander. The only tool I used was a scraper. Not only because it seemed like a safe tool to use, but also easier to sharpen later, ...also the cheapest to replace. I went to sandpaper asap, and that is about it. I will do some things differently and perhaps better the next time.

Top Bottom