Afzelia Xylay, Masur Burl, Pippy Yew, Extreme Spalted Oak Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

I've never worked with Xylay before and wow! What amazing grain! The Pippy yew is from England, the Spalted Oak burl has a face in it, you see it? The Masur burl is matched with Atrax rollerball. All are CA finish. Even though I'm using a Canon EOS, a light box and professional lighting, I cannot get a good photo to save my life; all except for the macro photos are too dark.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 674
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

Stephen, are you using a Canon - EF 50mm f/1.8 II Telephoto Lens to take your pics?
2473035_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500
I think they look great but i do see that there could be some improvement made

azamiryou

Beautiful woods.

I think the reason your whole-pen photos are dark is because you're using a white background and allowing the camera to auto-set the exposure. With all that white, the camera sees "too much light" and reduces the exposure. On the close-ups, you don't see so much of the white background, so it doesn't make as big a difference.

The fix depends on your camera features. You can set aperture and shutter speed manually, or some let you increase/decrease the exposure (+/- EV) while still using auto exposure settings. If there's no way to do it with your camera, you can try using a medium gray background instead of white. (A black background will have the opposite effect, and cause the camera to over-expose the shots.)

yorkie

Thanks for that however, I am using a medium grey background. I have my camera set to full auto but it is a digital SLR and does allow for aperture priority and stuff like that.

Beautiful woods.

I think the reason your whole-pen photos are dark is because you're using a white background and allowing the camera to auto-set the exposure. With all that white, the camera sees "too much light" and reduces the exposure. On the close-ups, you don't see so much of the white background, so it doesn't make as big a difference.

The fix depends on your camera features. You can set aperture and shutter speed manually, or some let you increase/decrease the exposure (+/- EV) while still using auto exposure settings. If there's no way to do it with your camera, you can try using a medium gray background instead of white. (A black background will have the opposite effect, and cause the camera to over-expose the shots.)

Top Bottom