Afzelia Amboyna Combo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I finally got into the shop this weekend to get to some of the great wood I've received over the past month. (sorry I can't figure out who I bought it from because I've made so many purchases this month!) I'm going to start making a log of what I get and who it is from so I can mention it when I post.

The Amboyna Burl is on a Lotus fountain pen and the Afzelia is on a Lotus rollerball pen. (I wish there were more of these kits available)
I ended up using two Afzelia blanks to make one pen. The beautiful grains in the cap were also in the body - but when I turned the body down there was a black burrow hole that went right across the center. I tried filing it, but it just wasn't going to work. So, I used a second blank to make the body and tried to find some grain similarities for a good match. I like the way it turned out.

No cloudiness under the CA this time! Thanks to the input from earlier posts.

I used thin CA to soak the inside of the blanks prior to inserting the tubes with medium CA. Then after turning and sanding down to 400, I put on two coasts of thin CA - no accelerator - and just let them spin and air out slowly for five or ten minutes. Then it was on to 5 or 6 layers of medium CA. Sand with 400 gently and then micropads.

Enjoy

Martin
(p.s. pardon the dust in the photos)

Attachments

• AfzAmb-9106.jpg
    AfzAmb-9106.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 235
  • AfzAmb-9111.jpg
    AfzAmb-9111.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 157
  • AfzAmb-9113.jpg
    AfzAmb-9113.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 152
  • AfzAmb-9114.jpg
    AfzAmb-9114.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 170
  • AfzAmb-9121.jpg
    AfzAmb-9121.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 160
  • AfzAmb-9123.jpg
    AfzAmb-9123.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paps

Two very nice pens there. Those are two of my favorite woods...and they make the shop smell nice...well, nicer. :biggrin:

MartinPens

I totally goofed here!! These are NOT Lotus pens. They are Imperial (bamboo) pens. I'll get it right eventually.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wizard

Outstanding!! The woods are gorgeous and you did a wonderful job on the pens and photography. I really like the detailed shots....beautiful. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom