Afzalia burl using unaxol HB finish.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from airrat

Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

Here is a pen I just finished. I have been testing the Unaxol HB finish for Mikey. Still working on the application but this one is a hugh improvement over the first try.

I have 2 more on the lathes right now, I changed the applicator to a sponge. Will know probably tomorrow how that works. I give them 24-48 hrs to dry.

Thanks to Mikey for letting me try it out for him and his help. Also to gerryr for going over his method with me.

20071121174218_afzali.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Beautiful. I know nothing about Unaxol finish, or even what the HB stands for. Hope it is a durable finish.

Frank, IIRC, it stands for High Faluting. [:eek:)]

Or, perhaps it is high build. The finish is very similar to Enduro.

GregMuller

Tom,
Could you outline you method for me. I have tried Unaxol on two pens so far and have not been able to get a high gloss finish on either. I'm definitlly doing something wrong.

airrat

Greg, in no way am I an expert using this finish, Gerryr has done many more pens then I have and I talked to him before I even tried. So my method my have been a fluke.

I can tell you what I did on this one and when I finish the other two will know how well the sponge works. Maybe someone can figure out a better applicator then a sponge.

I turned the pen normal, sanded to 12000 MM, put on 3 coats of sanding sealer. I started putting coats of the finish on, I did not like how the papertowel was soaking up the finish and becoming tacky. After about 3 coats I got a very soft sponge from the kitchen (yes, it was new) cut a 1/2 x 3 section. I used this to put about 3 more coats of finish on. Let the pen sit for almost 48 hrs.

Started sanding lightly with a 600 grit (due to the papertowel leaving ridges) Then MM it out to 12000, followed up by white diamond buffing wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom