After 12 DNFs, my first finished pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WildcatHollow

WildcatHollow

I studied everything I could before put a chisel to wood. I'd get a little further with each pen, solving the problems as they arose. I had purchased this blank of amboyna burl two tone from eBay about two months ago.

The kit, as you probably recognize is a designer from PSI.

I was so excited about finishing it that I didn't clean it or the background before taking the photo. I'll fix it next time. It has a minor imperfection. I managed to get some CA on the band when I picked it up before it had finished curing. I put it back on the mandrel, took a cotton swab moistened with acetone, and managed to remove some of the polyurethane PSI coats the gold with.

I also want to gain more confidence with a the more durable CA process. But, like I mentioned in an earlier post, this wouldn't be the time to start experimenting.

Next: making all my outbound Christmas presents: 6 adult kids, 2 children-in-law, and seven clients.

1_DSC_0069.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Your first pen??:eek::eek::eek:

WOW, that is great!:) Sure beats my first!!! You're going to want to keep it, you only have one first pen!:biggrin: Great job, looking forward to seeing more.

Manny

Hehe my first pen is in an honored place in my shop. It is a slim with 2 different woods. (I destroyed the other halves trying to make it)

I must say this one is waaay better than that.

Congrats

Manny

WildcatHollow

Finish

I am impressed. It looks so shiney, but then again it looks like you would be able to feel the voids. How did you do the finish?

Justin...

The finish is PSIs Gloss Sealer - Lacquer-Based Friction drying Sealer. 4 passes.

After I get through the holidays, and all the Christmas presents I'm making, I'm going to experiment with Russel's CA finish.

t.

Top Bottom