African Padauk Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
One of two Christmas gifts for this year . African Padauk on a Chrome Baron . This is my first attempt with Padauk . It seems the wood was dyed Dark Orange . Being my first , I'm not sure about that . Anybody know for sure ?

Happy Holidays !

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

akbar24601

Hey Chuck, that's a beauty right there! What a very nice gift that is. Not sure about the color. How was it to turn? Merry Christmas.

Nick

First, that is a very elegant pen with the Padauk and Chrome.
Yes that is the natural color of the wood, it will darken with age to a nice patina.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Steve . It's pretty soft , so it turned very easily . Some open grain so I made a slurry with first sanding . I ended up using one coat of thick CA as the final coat before sanding MM to 12000 .

Thanks Nick ! I really like the color .

bitshird

I love that pen, yes Padauk does have a fairly large grain, the first pieces I turned were out of a board that was still green, it wouldn't take a finish, I had to microwave the moisture out, it's also pretty oily. Your finish is beautiful, The contour of the lower barrel is just about perfect to show off the wood, it's a beautiful pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks to everyone for the compliments . Ken I've had this blank for about six months , so I guess I was pretty lucky I didn't have your problems with it . Thanks for your remarks .

Top Bottom