African Olive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom D

Tom D

I started turning pens exactily one year ago, mostly slimlines, Euro Designers etc. But I finally decided to do a Majestic. When I started the wood looked nice, the lines were nice and the coloring was nice, even on the fresh cuts. I think I will turn the blank prior to selecting the pen for the next one.

Attachments

• IMGP2375-1.jpg
    IMGP2375-1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 175
  • IMGP2378-1.jpg
    IMGP2378-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

You Know, if you don't think that one really lives up to the Majestic kit, you can always put it on a full size gent and turn a new set for the Majestic. You Will have to turn the bottom end of the body a little bit smaller, and the body will be just a tiny bit shorter than a normal Gent, but the length is not so much that the spring in the base won't compensate for it. That way you have a $15 kit with somewhat less than spectacular wood, instead of a $54 kit.

Or you could just scrap the blank and tubes and turn another set of tubes, that way your out $0.75 for a set of tubes instead of having a high dollar kit you aren't happy with or can't sell.

I always order lots of spare tubes for any kit I use, it's cheap insurance that you will always end up with top quality blanks on your pens. It also allows you to have less $ tied up in inventory. Lots of times I've had people say, "I love that wood, but wish you had it on the silver kit with the gold trim instead" (statesman vs gent) or "I love that pen, wish you had it in pink instead of brown". If you have one kit and a dozen sets of finished tubes, you might not have to let that sale walk away, and decide later that they would rather spend the money on something other than a pen. You might be able to say "ok, well, hang on, I can have that ready for you in 5 minutes"

phillywood

You Know, if you don't think that one really lives up to the Majestic kit, you can always put it on a full size gent and turn a new set for the Majestic. You Will have to turn the bottom end of the body a little bit smaller, and the body will be just a tiny bit shorter than a normal Gent, but the length is not so much that the spring in the base won't compensate for it. That way you have a $15 kit with somewhat less than spectacular wood, instead of a $54 kit.

Or you could just scrap the blank and tubes and turn another set of tubes, that way your out $0.75 for a set of tubes instead of having a high dollar kit you aren't happy with or can't sell.

I always order lots of spare tubes for any kit I use, it's cheap insurance that you will always end up with top quality blanks on your pens. It also allows you to have less $ tied up in inventory. Lots of times I've had people say, "I love that wood, but wish you had it on the silver kit with the gold trim instead" (statesman vs gent) or "I love that pen, wish you had it in pink instead of brown". If you have one kit and a dozen sets of finished tubes, you might not have to let that sale walk away, and decide later that they would rather spend the money on something other than a pen. You might be able to say "ok, well, hang on, I can have that ready for you in 5 minutes"

very good thinking James.
and nice pen.

Top Bottom