African blackwood burl done right! :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dave_M

Wow, nicest piece of African Blackwood I've ever seen. You did real good with that piece of wood. What type of finish did you put on it?

edstreet

Just noticed that there is some serious green color in the black, is that just me? Also re-shoot the pen but rotate it about 30 degree's in either direction.

weasel1219

Hey guys,

This one is really difficult to finish/photograph.

A lot is going on in there: chatoyance, curls, eyes, swirls and some sappy parts!

It's fantastic, see yourself by clicking the thumbnails below!

Thanks,

Charles

Wow nice looking pen, looks from here to be a perfect finish....Great job...

daveg

That's a gorgeous pen. I've always gone for a satin finish with just oils & waxes, but seeing that pen makes me want to try a CA finish. All the Mpingo (African Blackwood) I've worked has exhibited chatoyance, but always with an undertone of red, not green. Did you do any staining of the wood, or is that the way it came? I just have a bunch of Mpingo cut offs, so they're likely to all be from the same lot, so my exposure to the species might be fairly narrow although I've turned lots of pens from it.

bitshird

Charles, have you ever made a pen that wasn't something so special, that I wouldn't slobber all over my key board. What can I say just one more pen in a long line of mind bending timbers and a finish that is completely nuts!!!!

CharlesH

Charles, have you ever made a pen that wasn't something so special, that I wouldn't slobber all over my key board. What can I say just one more pen in a long line of mind bending timbers and a finish that is completely nuts!!!!

Thanks, I always give my best! By the way I really enjoy making my pens with your tool. ;)

C

Top Bottom