African B/W Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Been wanting to try William Young's CA method. This is my first try and it seems to work great, thanks William and thank you Rodney for the blank.
As always all comments welcome.

IMG_1365-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Looks very nice, I really need to get that B/W burl mounted on the lathe!

If this is using William Young's method of finishing, are you giving up on your usual method?

bitshird

Roy, how did you polish the pen, I've tried William Young's method, but haven't been able to get a super bright shine, But I do like the finish it looks like wood, not plastic just wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

OKLAHOMAN

If this is using William Young's method of finishing, are you giving up on your usual method?

Phil not yet, it was quicker and the finish ended up like glass but I need to try it on a few more blanks before I declare it "it".:biggrin: But .....................it sure could........

Roy, how did you polish the pen, I've tried William Young's method, but haven't been able to get a super bright shine, But I do like the finish it looks like wood, not plastic just wondering if I'm doing something wrong?

Ken, the finish really was easy and the results are better than the photo shows, and if your happy your not doing anything wrong. My finish did have a really nice shine. I applied a coat of TSW after using Meguires plastic polish

OKLAHOMAN

Thaks to all who gave positive comments.

Phil, My CA finish has always been a hit and miss kind of thing one coat BLO,6-7 coats thin CA MM'ed between each coat 2-3 coats med CA again MM'ed between each coat and then buffed and TSW applied, 80 -90%successful so with Williams method I'm saving many steps (no sanding between coats) and so far the reults are great.

So if this is the William young technique, whats your normal one, as thats superb too!

Keith, yes I get my Ti/Gold Retro kits from Aaron, as far as I know he's the only one who seels them

That looks beautiful Roy. Very nice choice of kit to go with the blank. Did you get the gold Retro from Aaron?

PaulDoug

Beautiful pen. I have some of Rodneys ABW burl and made a long click with one piece of it. It is beautiful wood. Mine has cracked some. Is this common with ABW? Great job on yours, goes so good with that kit.

Tanner

Excellent looking pen Roy! Your fit looks to be spot on. Those Blackwood's are tough to finish, I couldn't imagine how tough it was as a burl. The finish looks great.

Nickfff

Roy,
Thanks for the link but the video is "no longer available"...William can you repost?

Top Bottom