Adventures in maple...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MatthewZS

MatthewZS

So a guy here in town ran a little shop for local woodcrafters to consign their works. A few months ago he tells us that if we want he's got some honey maple that was cut from his yard and we can have it. We Procured to 8 or 9 foot logs a couple feet around and 4 or 5 smaller branches a few inches around each. The logs have been put to use, but the branches when we tried them weeks ago where almost unuseable. They sat there because.... well, disposing of them means hauling heavy stuff in 100+ weather. Few days ago I made a post in which someone mentioned minwax wood hardner and a light went on upstairs. I cut a few blanks out of these branches which where ALMOST unuseable..... it was like cutting rotten balsa......... but some of the paterning intrigued me so I set up a pan and soaked the blanks in the wood hardner for 24 hours. Allowed another 24 to dry, the I turned carefully, sealed with CA and polished with micromesh. I present you what I think is a really good looking Spalted-mildewed-stained-rotten-aged-weathered-honey-maple slim line.

Attachments

• maple pen.jpg
    maple pen.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 196
Top Bottom