Advanced kit entry (urushi imitation)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

4d93eef9c94a2739431ff5427eb4c81c.jpg
bd1bc758e09fbc00f2ee5a94a8fdd712.jpg
5736a4435df5d8015b6105c7d43c6083.jpg

6eb5884be07467340551f449e2b48b1d.jpg

I have always admired Urushi pens and have wanted to own one but if you know the costs of those pens it is not something I can spend that kind of money on. So I decided I wanted to imitate the urushi look by using my painting skills and knowledge of painting.

This was the result. I really like how it turned out but I now know how I want to improve things. I approached this process the same way you would do urushi ( from the very little I know ). Lots of transparent layers, sanding between and more layers. I used 3 different brand paints and mixed some of my own with pigment powder. These things are a lot easier to find here in Italy. I used Italian gold leaf something that I love to use in my fine art. There is incredible depth in this pen and it will stay in my personal collection. Now I think I will explore this technique more and see where that takes me. Thanks for the votes.

Jon

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Extremely beautiful work, Jon !!!! . Congratulations on your success !!

It would be nice to have a fairly detailed tutorial on your techniques but I know that would be quite time-consuming.

rhall_8

Would love more info on your process and the products used for this! Well done!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet! Nice step-up for you. The time spent on the techniques and skills was well worth it.

This is a beautiful pen - congrats.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Well done! Patience is a necessity and you have that.

One thing that I noticed in living in Japan for 26 years is that their urushi finishes were very shiny and polished. It could be the lighting in the photos that play down the shine.

Top Bottom