Adopt a sailor pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

Well, I had a house full today. I adopted 6 junior sailors for thanksgiving, so they didn't have to spend the holiday in the barracks. Everyone got to turn a pen (with my help, of course). One guy wanted an ebony pen, and I only had a black enamel slimline kit. I felt bad, because it's for his mom, and too much black, yada yada yada... So, I told him I'd turn his pen for him, he could just coach me on where he wanted the beads and coves, etc... I told him that he was going to get something a little different than what the other guys got... So I went into my bag of goodies, found a small piece of snakewood, and about 20 minutes later, had one VERY happy sailor on my hands... (for all you with dirty minds, please edit that last remark so as to make it readable for you without snickering) Anyway, this is what he got, Gabon Ebony with snakewood CB. I think his mom will be pleased, as well.
Critiques are welcome.

2005112531554_ebonysnakewood.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodnknots

When I dropped them all back off at the barracks at about 9:30 last night, they were already bragging to the quarterdeck watch about all the fun stuff they did. One guy told my wife that we made him feel like he was home again (what with all the skeet shooting, paintball, etc...). I know I had a pretty good time, too. One of them actually talked me into going into the woods for a paintball battle. I kicked his butt, so it was a blast!!

Texas Taco

The Snakewood really sets the pen off. Your right it would have been too much black but you made it work.

Great idea having them over for a Thanksgiving meal with the fellowship plus games/activities and pen turning.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />Great pen and great idea for encouragement and support. What's a junior sailor?
A junior sailor is someone relatively new to the Navy. In this case they were students were I am stationed that very recently graduated from boot camp. So they were for the most part away from home for their first Thanksgiving.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br />Dave, thanks for the answer. Glad to hear the Navy is still caring for their own. What school's command are you attached to?
I am currently stationed at CNATTU Norfolk (Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit). I teach primarily avionics for the E-2C Hawkeye. I've got a year left on shore duty before I rotate back to deployment cycles.

Woodnknots

Well, I got back to work today, and it seems that the guys that came to my house are making all the other students jealous with their tales of clay pigeon and paintball shooting... My work here is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom