Added some new photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Tom
Just took a stroll through your pictures. it makes it easy withthe way the photos are set up now. I don't miss vary many new ones. they look great and the way you did the pics was great with the discriptions right there with them. Keep Em Spinnin.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I get most of my kits from either Marc at www.woodhelp.com and Ryan at www.woodturningz.com... I get great service from them and great prices... I will not buy the basic gold but always get the prices for the TN gold finish.. I don't want a customer coming back later complaining about the gold coming off.. even after they kept the pen in their jeans for 6 months..

ilikewood

That's some nice ebony there Tom. I like the slight bit of brown it in...keeps it from looking like plastic and more like real wood. Nice job on the turning and no centerband!

Doghouse

I like the lack of a centerband. Do you use anything for a friction point on the bandless pens? I would be concerned that the wear of wood on wood. I know it could burnish them nicely, but there also could be a cracking problem. Hmmmm...

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
So far have not had a problem with cracking or wear on the bandless pens.. I start with a slimline bushing on both ends and a Euro or similar size center bushing in the middle... when I get close to the size of the center bushing, I remove it and turn the blanks together so that I get a nice close fit and smooth taper. After final sanding, I put a slimline bushing back in the center and do a CA finish. I tried it once without the bushing and had a hell of a time separating the blanks after the finish.. DUH!!!!!

leenollie

Sweet looking pen, Tom, and I'm a little jealous. The best deal I can find for Ebony is $35 a pound.[B)] I also like the bandless look as well.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

pecartus

Lee,

do you have a Paxtons Lumber yard in your area? If not go to www.paxtonwood.com . They just closed a store in New Oleans a few months back and the Paxton store here received some Nigerian ebony and it was priced reasonably low. I picked up a couple of pieces (2)- 6x18x1 for less than 40 dollars and pick up 2 turning blanks 2 1/12 x 2 1/2 x 18 for 35 dollars. The guys at Paxton said they shipped out the ebony to all thier stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom