See more from Marc Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Phillips

... dressed in copper :)

<center>
RedAcrylicCopperCigar.jpg
</center>

Used my new Jet wet grinder for the first time...

Sharpened my round scraper... been wanting to do this since I read (a looooong time ago) from someone here who said he used a scraper for acrylics... never had any real success with it, so wanted to try it with a real sharp scraper...

The verdict? .... really seemed to make a big difference... the cut was easier to control, went a lot faster, and there was literally no pitting or chipping that I have experienced before.. Only one pen, but it was a great start!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Lovely pen, I use a roughing gouge until the acrylic becomes a smooth cylinder then round nosed scraper, when I am nearing the diameter I change to a skew! [:p]

Husky

THe acrylic and copper go very well together Marc, very nice pen![:D]

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Lovely pen, I use a roughing gouge until the acrylic becomes a smooth cylinder then round nosed scraper, when I am nearing the diameter I change to a skew! [:p]

That is what I do also... but this time, after using the Jet wet grinder to sharpen the scraper, I was getting such a smooth cut that I never switched to a skew!

rherrell

Fine job Marc. I also find myself using my skew less and less these days. I've been using a Sorby Spindlemaster which is kind of like a scraper . I keep a diamond stone at my lathe which means no more trips to the grinder.

Marc Phillips

Originally posted by rherrell
<br />Fine job Marc. I also find myself using my skew less and less these days. I've been using a Sorby Spindlemaster which is kind of like a scraper . I keep a diamond stone at my lathe which means no more trips to the grinder.

I have a Sorby Spindlemaster, but have had no success with it all... but never tried it on a pen blank... guess I will dig it out of the tool graveyard box and dust it off.... [:D]

rherrell

Just don't try and sharpen the curved parts. Hold it flat on a sharpening stone like the back of a plane iron. Get it nice and sharp and I think you'll like it. Anymore I find myself just using it and a 1/8 parting tool. Just 2 tools for everything. My grinder is getting lonely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom