Accident is the mother of invention

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Armacielli

Armacielli

Bunch of things went wrong on this pen. First, I drilled the blank at an angle too badly to have enough material left to turn. My solution was to use a shorter scrap. It was short, but I calculated that it would probably work, so I drilled it and cut down a tube. After that minor set back I proceeded to turn the barrels until.....
CRACK

katscamera2010.jpg

Once i fixed that, I was able to finish the pen w/o more problems, and I ended up "inventing"(though it is quite possible this has been done before) a cute little miniature blackwood slimline

008.jpg

I put it next to another one i did for size comparison

comments and critiques welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
looking at your tube and the inside of the blank a big part of your problem was you didn't rough up the tube so there was nothing for the glue to grab on to. I always rough up my tubes on my belt sander using 80 grit so they are REally rough.

GK

rlharding

It looks like you have not sanded your tube, and it also looks like you haven't used enough glue. I can't see any on the blank or the tube. Your lighter pen (maple?) is over turned at the cap and nib, and I think the pregnant look doesn't go with such narrow turning. Last but not least, is the crud on the pens or on your camera?

Did you glue the teh dark wood back together?

Other than that :D NJ

GBusardo

I've done stuff like that too, but after I have blown it, I use the time spent on it for practice more than anythig else. If thats a rhodium kit, I probably would have drilled another blank. If it's chrome, I probably would have played around with it. Your solution is also greally good practice when you want to do some gluing up on purpose. Once you clean up the pen, I doubt anyone that is not a woodworker, would notice.

Armacielli

Originally posted by GBusardo

I doubt anyone that is not a woodworker, would notice.

Actually my grandfather, who is a wood worker, couldn't even see the crack. The blackwood seems to be a good material for hiding mistakes.

I also thought the cherry one was overturned, but my costomer requested a copy of a pen with that profile.

finally,it is equally probable that the crud is on the pens or the camera

JohnU

Nice recovery. As said above, rough up the tube with some sandpaper before glue, it will help.
Also, look down the ends after you glue to see if there are any voids around the end of your tubes where the wood doesnt touch the tube (incase your bit or vise moved when taking the bit out). Make sure you drop some glue in the area or this will help the blow out. I know this from experience! I have a small collection of blow out blanks that help me remember.

Top Bottom