Abalone Shell & Kauri Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kaurikid

Kaurikid

I was being a little adventurous with this one as inlaying the abalone shell was a little more trying than anticipated, but I learnt a lot from doing this so that's a plus. The abalone shell I found when snorkeling in NZ and I feel it enhances the Kauri quite well so I will make another kit in a similar style.

Enjoy . . . .

Attachments

• Kauri Fountain Pen.jpg
    Kauri Fountain Pen.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 272
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

That looks 'fun'....about how much longer did this one take you to complete?

Should fetch a pretty sum though!

Scott (I ain't got the patience) B

Kaurikid

Hi Scott, It took me about an hour to cut, set and glue the shell pieces and a few minutes extra on the finish. I started the pen turning a few months ago and I believe I'm still in the "practicing" period. So my friends are all receiving pens as gifts at the moment.
Yes I would like to eventually be rewarded for my work but only after I feel I've got there with my workmanship and I've found a quality pen kit to match.

Thanks and regards
Steve

OZturner

Terrific Pen, Steve.
Fantastic Concept.
Are the Abalone Shell pieces mounted to the Tube, as a Segment? or are they Tiled in a Tennon in the Kauri?
Most Intriguing, would love to see it capped to obtain the full impact.
Great Fit and Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Kaurikid

Thanks for all the compliments it's nice when you get the feeling someone likes what you're creating, I get a motivation rush. As for the shell yes I started by cutting a tennon that left a tad of kauri still on the tube to glue the shell to. I chose the flattest part of the shell I could find then cut a strip that would fit when cut into pieces.

First I used a small hand held drill with a fine diamond disc to flatten the backs of each strip where necessary. After gluing each piece in place with CA it was back on the lathe and I kept building up with medium CA over the shell till flush with the wood. The finish was then as per every pen.

I'm making another with shell inlay as I find abalone shell a very nice match to most woods. A warning though, around 6 month ago I inlayed a box I was making with abalone and a day later went down with a terrible lung infection. I was only wearing a standard dust paper mask at the time so I don't know if I was becoming ill anyway or it was a reaction to the shell dust? So be careful I now work over a hoover nozzle and wear a well-fitting industrial mask. So far so good!

Thanks and regards
Steve

Attachments

• Kauri Fountain Pen 2.jpg
    Kauri Fountain Pen 2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 84
Top Bottom