Abalone Shell Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobaltig

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobaltig

This is the new Abalone Shell Baron from Arizona Silhouette. I really like the kit. The abalone shell is glued to the tube, much like the snakeskin blanks are done, then cast in a resin. The resin demands you use sharp tools and light cuts or else it will come off in big chunks. There are also the ever present air bubbles in the casting. Some may be on the surface after turning to shape. However the two or three I saw were easily filled with thick CA glue. Then a final sanding and polish, and it was done.

Some have criticized the fact that each blank has two seams in the abalone shell rather than just one. I don't find them objectionable at all. The picture shows one of these seams near the clip so you can decide for yourself.

Bill Baumbeck tells me that using abalone shell in big enough portions to eliminate the extra seam would drive the cost of this kit up to around $300. I definitely would find that objectionable.

Hope you enjoy the picture. This one is a gift for a friend who is an avid scuba diver.

bobaltig

<center>
2006112214750_Abalonebarontn.jpg

</center>

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jughead

"two seams in the abalone shell "

Can you take a closeup of the seam please? I have thought about ordering this kit, but would like to see the seam first.

Great looking pen.

bobaltig

If you will go to my photo album, there is a larger picture of this pen there, and you can see the seam on both the top cap and the bottom cap. I'm sorry but I've already mailed off this pen to my friend, so I can't take any additional pictures of it.

bobaltig

Turnitall

Some have criticized the fact that each blank has two seams in the abalone shell rather than just one.

Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. [;)][;)]
I think these kits are great and at the price you can't beat the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom