abalone inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laurie sullivan

What I want to do was completely different:(........then I thought of turquoise and then I saw my abalone stash. I'll tell you, boy howdy, this was not something I would do every weekend. These are special order for sure. There are 35 or so little chips that were cut and shaped to fit, glued and re-turned. I had a slip of the chisel and thats the ring you see. Then the finish was a pain, it was 90 degrees in the shop. But now I have a prototype for orders. (unless some give me the right money) :D The wood is eucalyptus

So let me have it, this is now at all my best. Oh yea, I do know the precautions of abalone dust and took it.

Laurie

DSC_00971.jpg

abalone41.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Help, Laurie!! I'm not getting it?? Not sure I understand what the "ring" is that you are talking about and it is not obvious on my display where the abalone inlay is??

And just a photo composition comment. I find your background quite distracting....it makes it hard for me to concentrate on the pen. As a general rule, plainer backgrounds will do a better job of showing off your pens.

Randy_

Originally posted by laurie sullivan

Randy, sorry that you can't see it in your hand. maybe this quick shot will show you a little better. the inlay is on both ends of each tube.....

Me too!!

Thanks for the second picture. I do see the inlays now and the background works a lot better. Unfortunately, I think the picture is a little under exposed and the inlay does not show off to its best effect. Guess I will have to use my imagination? I just bought an abalone Sierra Vista kit from AS so I have a very vivid image of abalone in my head right now.

Dan_F

Laurie---I think you did a wonderful job!. I like the background in the second picture better, it does make it easier to take in the pen, but I think I know why you used the segmented mirror, in that the inlay work is similarly segmented, so there was a design tie in.

If you undertake something like this again, it would stand out a lot more with something darker, like a rosewood blank, but it still looks good in this one. Being a guitar player, I love abalone.

Randy---The abalone kits are nice, but don't really compare with the natural shell.

Dan

thanks you for all your comments. pen did not start with the intention of the inlay. I had some new wood and I didn't like it. so, I decided to try something new. the natural abalone shell was cut and chipped by hand. I would have use a darker wood but this is what was happening at the time. I need to purchase new lights for my tent. these are too warm.(no money) I think I'll go back to outside pictures.....seem to be more natural.

thanks again, Laurie

Dan_F

Laurie---You probably have a feature on your camera that will allow you to set the white balance, check your manual for directions to set it. You shoud be able to work with your existing lights. Also, if you use compact fluorescents, be sure to let them warm up before taking the pic, as they might not reach full brightness and color temperature for a few minutes.

Dan

Top Bottom