Abalone Classic Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

This is a self cast of Abalone shell pieces I bought from New Zeland a while back. Its a classic twist (my wifes choice pen). I painted the tubes, used medium CA to glue the fragments and then sanded the high edges down to round the body, then buffed on a naked wheel to shine them up before casting in Silmar 41. I had to use a nail file to shape a few and spent three days off and one glueing. I like the end results but my photo is lacking. Will probably make a few more but spend more time fitting them closer or use black paint instead of midnight blue. All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Classic Twist Abalone.jpg
    Classic Twist Abalone.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 418
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John M

That is a nice pen! I love abalone, one day I want to do one, it is on my list of about 100 other pens.

Druid

Stunning John,
I've always wanted to make one of those. If you don't mind, I may be contacting in the near future to get advice & guidance. Again, great job & beautiful pen.

JohnU

Stunning John,
I've always wanted to make one of those. If you don't mind, I may be contacting in the near future to get advice & guidance. Again, great job & beautiful pen.
No problem Jim. Any time.

Thanks for all the comments. It was fun, the best part was the day I finally got all the glue off my fingers! Hoping to do a jr. gent next.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WOW!!

THAT's a lot of work!!! Nice result.

Having done a lot of shells, I really admire your ability to get it to fit in a "Parker" kit, there is virtually NO room there.

GREAT job -- a Jr. Gent will be easier and, I believe (OPINION) it will be a nicer pen!!

Top Bottom