Abalone Bevy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I did a hands own demo for the Richmond Penturners last night where everyone got to make their own abalone blank using strips. In leading up to the demo, I made several pens using Blue Paua and Mother of Pearl Strips and playing with various background colors. From left to Right; Blue Paua on a black background,
Four color tube with alternating Blue Paua and MOP Strips, MOP on white, MOP on pink, MOP on teal, MOP on light lime green, and MOP on red. I was disappointed by the MOP on red, I thought the red would pop through but it seems almost purple. It is interesting what you can do with the MOP, I plan on doing another multi-colored one using only the MOP. The basic white MOP and Blue Paua are hard to beat in any event.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Those all came out great. That material is some of the best when it comes to making a classy pen. Did you do a tutorial on making these?? I did not see it and seem to not be able to find it. Do you have a link?? Thanks

OZturner

Absolutely Glorious Cody.
Those Blanks are Outstanding, and the Impact with the Demonstrated Back Colours is Incredible.
I am lost for words, You have pushed the Beauty of Mother of Pearl, and Pau Shell to a New Level of Brilliance.
Fantastic Results.
Congratulations,
Brian

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wonderful pens Cody. I'll also vote for the Blue and white; but with the background paint you have a lot of color options with the white.

Great Work!

jttheclockman

Those all came out great. That material is some of the best when it comes to making a classy pen. Did you do a tutorial on making these?? I did not see it and seem to not be able to find it. Do you have a link?? Thanks

Here it is:

http://content.penturners.org/library/casting/jewel_beetle.pdf

Well Cody thank you for posting this and thank you for writing it. Again those look great. Put that type blank on a highend kit and they are worth some big money. Thanks for showing.

Bill Sampson

Cody,
Just finished casting the blue abalone blank from your demo last evening. So far it looks fine.
Thanks for a great demo and another way to create pen blanks!
Bill

bpgoldo

Only the most beautiful of blanks, the colors and detail are breath taking. The only thing more impressive is your comittiment to sharing and teaching others. You are an inspiration on several levels.

Top Bottom