90 pens all by myself!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edman2

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I recently did a small local craft show and a lady purchased two pens. She then asked if I could make 90 pens for her company as employee gifts. Here are the 90 Franklin Dollar pens!

I purchased the 90 pen blanks from Bruce. Squared them with a carbide pen mill from PSI. Turned them between centers using John Goodin's bushings. I used one of Ken's Pen Pros sliding along a Rich Herrell steel pen rest. I first rounded them then tapered them toward both ends like Ed Brown taught me while brushing away the turnings with a wire brush like Ed taught me. Then I finished turning them with my skew held flat like a scraper like I learned from Ed Davidson in one of his videos. I wet sanded them with Micro Mesh pads bought from Wood-n-Whimsies and assembled them with pen kits from Exotic Blanks. I packaged them in boxes bought from Mannie. And when I delivered them to the lady I responded to her question with, "Yes Ma'am, I did them all by myself!"

Is the IAP a great community or what!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Wow, I would be so bored after making 90 of the same pens! Great job!!

I understand. I have done orders of 25-30 before and I was done before I was done!:) However those were donated to non-profit causes. These were for real $$"s. Those $$$$ kept me focused and I smiled all the way to the bank!

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
That must be the order you were telling me about. No wonder you've been AWOL from here.

It took me about 30 hours of turning time in the shop to get them done. Add another 10 hours for boxing them to send to the engraver (Ken at Kallenshaan Woods), assembly of the kit, wiping them down, boxing them and packaging them in alphabetical order according to the name engraved and I have about 40 hours in them. Not too bad!

JohnU

Holy Franklins!!!! You've been a busy guy. Great looking group Freddie! Congrats on the sale.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS ENCASED IN RESIN!!!!!

WOW!!

(Very nice work, Freddie -- thank you for choosing us to help you!!)

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks John. Thanks Ed. It was a pleasing and humbling thought when I realized just how many of the IAP members had a part in me being able to do that (and I didn't even mention the Paul Huffman vise that I used)! :biggrin:

thewishman

Congrats on the order and more congrats for completing it so nicely.:)

When I show off a pen, I say, "This part was made by a friend in Texas." Or sometimes, a friend in Florida, or New Zealand (New Jersey now, not quite so dramatic:wink:) or elsewhere. It feels like our craftspeople here are friends.

It is so nice to use tools and materials made by friends, using methods learned from friends. Great post!

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Sweet job there. But somehow I envisioned Ted Nugent's hunting show with all the promoting:biggrin:.

bruce119

Hey Freddie

Good to see you got them all done. Sounds like it went pretty well. I bet you were a little green bye the time you were finished. I know I was.:bulgy-eyes:

Good to hear it all worked out. :biggrin:

Great job congrats
Bruce

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Freddie

Good to see you got them all done. Sounds like it went pretty well. I bet you were a little green bye the time you were finished. I know I was.:bulgy-eyes:

Good to hear it all worked out. :biggrin:

Great job congrats
Bruce

Thank you Bruce. I could not have done it without your help! 100 blanks poured in a few days was moving on! I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom