84 piece segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb757

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb757

I just finished this pen for the Pen Swap. It's made with a walnut and maple checker, trimmed with maple and padauk. The body is segmented walnut on the upper barrel, the lower barrel is walnut, cherry and maple. The elliptical in the back ground is a grip that I'm working on, it's made from a pecan burl and cocobolo. Any comments are welcome. Thanks Mark

tn_Picture%20304_edited.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kadmos

Just did my first segmented pen last week.

I'm not sure if this makes me want to pack away my lathe tools, or gives me something to aspire to.

Really great work!
I'd love to know how it was done.

Kadmos

I keep checking back to see if you'll at least let us know how you made the checkering..I love that. I've made about ten drawings and still can't figure it out!

It's gotta be wedges right, so how many peices per band?

mb757

You're correct the checkers are wedges and there are 18 wedges per band. It actually starts off as two 1/8" pieces of flat stock. It's the same principle as segmented bowl on a smaller scale. Kadmos if you really want to know how its done drop me an e/mail and I think I can help you out. There is a variation of this checker that looks like a cog instead of a checker as well. Thanks Mark

tn_Picture%20206_edited.jpg

cigarman

Well I am the lucky person that recieved this pen in the swap. It came today and will be displayed proudly with my other swap pens. I would carry it but someone might ask if I could make them one like it. Thanks Mark it is a beautiful pen.

mb757

Tom, Thank you for the kind words. I hope that you enjoy the pen, it's my first pen swap and I'm really enjoying it. Mark

mb757

Thanks all for the kind words. I was pleasantly surprised this morning to find this pen as the featured photo on the home page. I don't know who to thank for putting it there, but I'm honored. Thank you again Mark.

mb757

Thanks Peter, surprisingly not as many hours as you would think. The segmented checker takes about 1/2 hour, the segments for the lower took about an hour. With turning and finish about 2 hours. That's actual time there is a lot of time spent waiting for the glue to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom