84 Piece Segmented Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rolandranch

Rolandranch

I enjoy doing segmented pens a lot! I made this cigar pen out of hickory, walnut, and redheart. I used a CA finish and am happy with the results. I want to do another one similar to this one and I would really appreciate some suggestions as to what type of (contrasting) woods I should use. Any other tips are welcome as well.

IMG_20150626_152640.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood128

Great job Seth. I like those contrasting woods. You might consider getting some colored veneers to use in your segmenting pen construction. You could use all walnut pieces with a white veneer between , or all maple with a red veneer between. Also , white veneer works well with many contrasting woods ( light and dark ) . The veneer just sets off the different pieces of woods . Try doing some spiral work with your pieces . You are on the right track....keep, up the good work and you will get that college education.

SkookumPens

You did a real good job. I enjoyed doing that segmentation. I should do some more of them as soon as I get some free time. I always tell everyone that I cut and glued each one individually.
Craig Chatterton
Puyallup, WA

magpens

That is a beautiful pen !! ... and you can be justly proud of it.

You say 84 pieces .... I see about 26 laminae (or layers) ... does that mean that each layer has 4 pieces on each layer ? ... or does that vary ?

Did you make the layers by gluing together 4 different strips of wood and then slicing the result perpendicular to its length ?

Then I suppose you reglued the layers together and rotated adjacent layers with respect to each other.

Rolandranch

Actually there are 28 layers with 3 pieces per layer. There is a thin layer on the end that can't be seen very well in the photo. And yes, I glued 3 strips of wood together (two 1/2"x 1/2" and one 1/2"x 1"), cut them into (approx) 1/8" segments and glued them together as I rotated them.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You are how old... and you did that... i hate your guts!!! :mad-tongue::mad-tongue::mad-tongue:

Just kidding ... :wink: :bananen_smilies027::RockOn::bananen_smilies027:

Beautiful work Seth. It is way cool (old guy lingo) to see this quality of craftsmanship from someone your age (and I mean no disrespect for your age!). You have had sound instruction and have put in the time to get to this level of skill - Congrats!

Oh... I agree that thin veneer is nice, as well as making the staircase spiral. But what you displayed is excellent.

Last edited:

Rolandranch

You are how old... and you did that... i hate your guts!!! :mad-tongue::mad-tongue::mad-tongue:

Just kidding ... :wink: :bananen_smilies027::RockOn::bananen_smilies027:

Beautiful work Seth. It is way cool (old guy lingo) to see this quality of craftsmanship from someone your age (and I mean no disrespect for your age!). You have had sound instruction and have put in the time to get to this level of skill - Congrats!

Oh... I agree that thin veneer is nice, as well as making the staircase spiral. But what you displayed is excellent.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I started turning pens in January of this year. I've only made about 70 pens so far (if it wasn't for school I would have made a couple hundred :wink:). I really enjoy turning and have also been getting some great ideas of what to make next from this forum.

Top Bottom