8 sided Celtic on a Jr Retro in Honduran Rosewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ruby pen turning

Another copper Jr Retro in my dwindling supply :frown:
This one is a closed end with an 8 sided Celtic knot in Honduran Rosewood and Cocobolo inlays.
Cracked the first barrel and had to start all over again. Thank goodness the cap went well.
It has about 10 coats of CA and sanded through all the pads and polished. NOTE: lots of dust on the pics.
Comments bad or good are always appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4729.JPG
    IMG_4729.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_4727.JPG
    IMG_4727.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4726.JPG
    IMG_4726.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4720.JPG
    IMG_4720.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 319
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

I can't get over the beauty of this pen! Truly amazing grain, color, and overall style. Amazing work

chipd

Great looking pen

I have been tryiing to do exactly what you were able to do but having trouble with keeping my lines straight. Used a home made jig and had better results. Any suggestiuons? Your pen looks awesome!

phillywood

Appears to be nicely done , but for me the wood detracts from the design , which would show much better on plain wood of contrasting colour .
+1, I think both the wood and the design is nicely done. I think on a contrasting wood ad the segmenting one can really appreciate your creativity, unless it's the way you took the pic. is effecting our judgment.

OKLAHOMAN

Great workmanship and if my eyes are not deceiving me I also see inlay work on the lower barrel,,,,,,,,,,right?

WOW thanks everyone.
The lighting for the pictures actually catches an iridescent in the wood. SO the knot does show up when not lit that good but not quite as good as in the pictures and yes the are 3 strips in the lower barrel that are on the same angle as the knot (60 degrees) and cut a little over 1/2 way through the rounded blank. It causes a coo S effect.
I have nothing special for making them just a table saw sled and 60degree stopper to set the rounded blanka against. oh .. and in the library here on IAP you find find someone who has printable template for the knot cutting order. http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/6-Segment-Knot-Pen.pdf

Rfturner

I saw it and I was impressed. I usually don't like it when something is too busy but this time it works great and it is some of those subtle details that draws your eye to it. great job

wiset1

Checked out the link and went out and bought the box saw online last night. Can't wait to try this with some resin I have in the shop.

Top Bottom