#8 is alive, and a re-do

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Xander

Xander

Here is #8 (if you don't count my experiment) and a re-do of an earlier one, #7

Left is a Wall Street ll in Ti Gold with an "Opal" blank.
Right is a re-do (disasemble, re-turn, re-CA,...) of a Rockler 'Manhattan' with stabilized Curly Mango.

As always, comments - good or bad - welcome.
Specifically, are these of sellable quality?

Thanks

P3290166-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

Nice looking pens.

As for sellability? Certainly, how much is the real question.

If these are only your 7th and 8th pen I'd be giving them away. I've done over 30 in the last year and learn something new with each. I've had offers but don't think I'm there yet. Just my 2¢

AK

Xander

Thanks guys.

I was in a "new age" store with my soon to be room-mate the other day and I always carry a pen or two. I was after some polished rocks for use in pen photos so I took out a pen and held it next to the stones. Well, my friend just had to say.. "He makes these pens". The owner of the store said "WOW, really? They are beautiful", then went on to ask if I could do something in specific colors / designs. I suggested that I probably could but I'm still new at making them. Anyway, as I was leaving she basically said I should bring a few in and she might put them on display. So... now I don't know what to do.

And I can't afford to be giving away anything...yet.

The Penguin

just my personal opinion - but I don't sell pens that are not premium platings. I don't want "cheap" kits aging/wearing prematurely in the hands of a buyer.

Xander

just my personal opinion - but I don't sell pens that are not premium platings. I don't want "cheap" kits aging/wearing prematurely in the hands of a buyer.
I agree fully. That's why I spent the extra $ and got Ti Gold. The other one, chrome, should also be OK but in future I'm going with Ti Gold, Black Ti, Platinum, Rhodium. The trouble is some vendors do not always say what platings they have, simply stating "Gold" or "Woodcraft Gold". I have to guess what it is. Sure cost is a guide but not always accurate.

What I was after (and got, thanks) was an indication of sellability. If these are NOT good enough I'll stop spending $20 per kit until I get better. I have about 6 slimlines that I can practise on - or probably never complete now if these last 2 are OK.

In any case, it's going to take me months before I have enough inventory to start selling.

Thanks for the input and no-one has offened or discouraged me :)

Andrew, I think they are fine. :biggrin:

BassBlaster

IMO, they are nice enough to sell but I'm a rookie as well so what do I know, lol. I started selling about 2 months ago and I cant keep up with orders!!

To save a few pennies, stop buying pen kits from Woodcraft. They sell Berea kits. Go to Berea Hardwoods website and buy those same kits for half the cost. The Ti Gd/Bl Ti Sierra is $21.50 through Woodcraft. $11.00 through Berea. Thats quite a markup. Heck, if you order only 1 kit from Berea with their flat rate shipping, you still save over $5 on that kit. I dont buy pen kits from Woodcraft unless I get a pressing order and have to have parts right away. Berea usually gets my orders to me in 2 days though anyhow.

JD Combs Sr

...They sell Berea kits. Go to Berea Hardwoods website and buy those same kits for half the cost...

+1 on what BassBlaster said, however, if you already have some Woodcraft kits in "Woodcraft Gold" you do have some quality kits. "Woodcraft Gold" is Woodcrafts name for their version of Titanium Gold.

Robert111

Here's my 2 cents.

1. They're good enough to sell if you think they're attractive and you have honestly determined that the workmanship is PERFECT (NO DEFECTS).

2. I think you proved you can be a craftsman when you re-did the curly mango. It takes care and patience and high standards.

Twissy

Couple of nice looking pens, and they look good enough to sell from the pics.
I'm not a lover of slimlines, but they sell well, probably because they are "more affordable".
I've only been turning a short while, but the most important thing I have found with slimlines is they hone your skills like no other kit pen. IMO

BassBlaster

...They sell Berea kits. Go to Berea Hardwoods website and buy those same kits for half the cost...

+1 on what BassBlaster said, however, if you already have some Woodcraft kits in "Woodcraft Gold" you do have some quality kits. "Woodcraft Gold" is Woodcrafts name for their version of Titanium Gold.
I was under the impression that the kits sold as "woodcraft gold" were the kits that Berea calls "upgrade gold" since woodcraft also sells kits labeled as titanium gold. Just a guess though and I have no evidence to back that up.

Xander

I was under the impression that the kits sold as "woodcraft gold" were the kits that Berea calls "upgrade gold" since woodcraft also sells kits labeled as titanium gold. Just a guess though and I have no evidence to back that up.

See, as a newbie, this is what is getting me all messed up. There are so many "types" of gold. I've learned to stay away from '24kt gold'. But some kits are just labled as 'gold' without any further description. WHAT gold?
What is "upgrade gold" ?? What is "Woodcraft Gold" ???
I'm so confused :confused:

Xander

IMO, they are nice enough to sell but I'm a rookie as well so what do I know, lol. I started selling about 2 months ago and I cant keep up with orders!!

To save a few pennies, stop buying pen kits from Woodcraft. They sell Berea kits. Go to Berea Hardwoods website and buy those same kits for half the cost. The Ti Gd/Bl Ti Sierra is $21.50 through Woodcraft. $11.00 through Berea. Thats quite a markup. Heck, if you order only 1 kit from Berea with their flat rate shipping, you still save over $5 on that kit. I dont buy pen kits from Woodcraft unless I get a pressing order and have to have parts right away. Berea usually gets my orders to me in 2 days though anyhow.

I just got a few kits from Woodcraft...
The kit I got from Woodcraft was $18.09. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2001574/2300/screw-cap-fountain-kit-woodcraft-gold.aspx NOTE, the kit says "TITANIUM" and it's GOLD TI
The SAME kit from Berea Hardwoods is $18.45. Flat Top American™ Screw Cap Fountain Pen (Titanium Gold) Pen Kit Making Supplies Berea HardWoods

Last edited:

alinc100

Xander,
I can sympathize with your frustrations.I know what its like to drive 60-70 miles and find out that what you bought isn't what you wanted/needed.

One of the many vendors here on IAP that I deal with that has great service and high quality plating kits is Timberbits.com. The sierras with the Gold Ti,Black Ti,& Platinum for +/- $10 a kit are quite durable and my customers are pleased with the "upgrade" on the finish.

The other amazing thing with Timberbits is my last order was delivered from Australia in 4 days!!

I think you will find that the prices are good,shipping is quite fair and the selection of kits should please anyone.My biggest problem is overspending.

Pen Making :: Ball Point Pens :: Sierra Pen Kits - Pen Kits, Pen blanks, Clock Kits and wood turning accessories.

Xander

No offence, but the $10 kit is 24kt gold, which I will not use. For Gold TI (which Timberbits does not offered in the pen styles I want) the price is $17. I can get them from Rockler for less.

Edit to add...

Believe me, I've spent DAYS looking at all the vendors, both on IAP and elsewhere, and I can't find the styles I want in the platings I want... unless I go to Rockler or Woodcraft.
However, just 1 day after I bought stuff locally one the the IAP vendors did re-stock and NOW has a few things I'd like. Go figure :(

AND, I've just finished making a Berea kit and the quaility is worse than a Made in China kit

Last edited:
Top Bottom