7mm skinnable Sierra like pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from patmurris

patmurris

Hi all! :)

This is not exactly a finished pen but rather a proof of concept for a 'skinnable' sierra like pen idea, where you can replace the main wooden barrel. The easiest way to think about it is to imagine a slimline pen with shorter top and bottom blanks, leaving a good portion of the tubes exposed in the middle for a large floating 'ring' - the wooden barrel, which can be removed as you would for a slimline ring. I wouldn't be surprised someone tried that already...

For this one, the fixed parts are in ziricote and mapple. I turned five different 'skins' using spalted boxwood, prune, european olive, wacapou and larch.

Setting up the parts, the barrel is olive wood:
Stylo%20Sierra%207mm%20Demontable%2001_800.jpg

The assembled working pen 'naked':
Stylo%20Sierra%207mm%20Demontable%2002_800.jpg

...and wearing the larch barrel:
Stylo%20Sierra%207mm%20Demontable%2003_800.jpg

I'm rather new to woodworking, wood turning and pen making - less then a year. Although i've turned over fifty 7mm euros and a limited number of more sophisticated kits, i only very recently started wandering off the beaten tracks with 'custom' designs and this is my second such project.

I have to admit there are a lot of things that are slightly off with this first iteration - i have a lot of work to do to achieve the necessary precision while cutting, drilling, squaring and even turning the parts. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here it is, a working sierra like pen with a different wood for each (working) days of the week... (thanks Jean-Pierre for mentioning it). How do you like the idea? :neutral:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That's pretty neat! I especially like your blueprint-like plan,looks really impressive! Cool idea,I think.

Steve

boxerman

Now that is cool. Great thinking that. You know there is sure alot different things that you can do with a pen then what I thought of.

airrat

Novel idea. Your first one looks great.

Would you want to put brass in each one though. It would help protect them from "getting crushed" or something happening to them. If I remember correctly the sierra brass fits just inside another kit's brass so you could find one easily I believe.

patmurris

Thank you all for the nice words and comments. :rolleyes:
I'll keep posting when i'll have a second version.

Regarding tubes inside the main barrels, i'm not too worried since their ID is 7mm and OD is around 13mm. That leaves a 3mm thickness that makes them rather solid.

Here is a picture of the disassembled pen:

Stylo%20Sierra%207mm%20Demontable%2004_800.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom