7mm.Magnum segmented shell casing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

I had a customer request a shell casing pen from some 7mm Magnum shell casings she provided.
"Sure" I said. Everything went smoothly until I realized that the slimline nib is larger then the end of the casing. I know I could use the actual 7mm bullet but I didnt have one and wasn't sure on the drilling anyway so I glued a tube into a piece of wood and turned it round so I could hold it in a chuck. I pressed the nib in the end and with a parting tool cut down about 3/32 of the wide end of the nib. Much closer fit now. The piece of wood with the tube in it then became the blank for the upper barrel,

This makes a nice large pen that feels great in the hand

7mm Magnum and 30-06 casing pens with Caribbean Rosewood

7mmmag-5_editedMedium.jpg

Comments welcomed, Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Looks good. Brass cases can easily be neck sized to .30 caliber. If you are a reloader or know someone who is, this is very easy to accomplish with most .30 cal neck sizing dies. Otherwise, you could still accomplish this by holding the case in a chuck on the headstock of your lathe. Hold a transfer punch (or some other rod) that measures very close to 0.308" in a drill chuck in the tailstock. You will need a slight taper on the end of the punch so it will enter the case neck smoothly and without damaging. The lathe does not need to be running. Now just run the punch into the case mouth and back out. The brass will expand. You may need to lube the punch to make it slide a little easier.

Also, if you are necking up several calibers (say .223 to .308), you may need to neck up to an intermediate (or two) size before going all the way to .308. This will prevent the case mouth from splitting.

Sylvanite

Brass cases can easily be neck sized to .30 caliber. If you are a reloader or know someone who is, this is very easy to accomplish with most .30 cal neck sizing dies. Otherwise, you could still accomplish this ...

Also, if you are necking up several calibers (say .223 to .308), you may need to neck up to an intermediate (or two) size before going all the way to .308. This will prevent the case mouth from splitting.

Well, I wouldn't try necking a 223 Rem case up to .308 diameter. That's an awful lot of stretch. Generally though, Stan is correct. For example, 7mm-08 originated as a necked-down 308 Win. There's no real reason you couldn't neck it back up. Aside from the headstamp, however, there wouldn't be much difference.

I prefer to stick to the cartridge caliber and use a real bullet. Then you don't have to worry about matching neck diameter to nib diameter. I also think it looks better. For the sake of comparison, here's a 308 Win cartridge pen next to a 7mm RemMag cartridge pen (both with bullet nibs). Also shown is a 7mm-08 pen which has the same case diameter as the 308 Win pen, and the same bullet diameter as the 7mm RemMag pen.

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• 7mmand308_x600.jpg
    7mmand308_x600.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 7mm-08Antler_x600.jpg
    7mm-08Antler_x600.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 232

Jgrden

Splinter 99

I tried something like your idea today. I am still confused on how you attached the clip to the head. How'd you do it. If you'd rather keep it a secret that's okay.
Beautiful pens.

splinter99

Jgrden..It is assembled as you would any slimline..the cap is pressed in to the tube wich is inside the casing,(the segments are drilled out to accept the brass tube) Looking at the ones posted by Sylvanite,,It appears that he recesses the clip, but I opted for the easy way out (His pens are beautiful though)
I hope this makes sense

Top Bottom